“A Coffee MACHINE”

Ranked #109 of 297 Coffee & Tea in San Francisco
Neighbourhood: SoMa
Neighbourhood: SoMa
Reviewed 2 September 2016

I live and walk through SOMA to get to work in the Financial district. I wake-up fresh and enjoy the walk through the less crowded deep-SOMA streets until I am forced to work my way up to Market Street and deal with massive human influx situations. As with Socrates and Heidegger and their walks, this walk allows me to build my dialed-inward awareness. During these walks I enjoy my coffee, my audio book and real-time artistic perspectives of postmodern urban landscape I walk through. If there is one thing I don’t want in my morning routine it to wait in line for coffee. I waltz in here primetime, 8:30 AM-ish, every day and never, ever have to wait in a line. Every single other place in SOMA, from Sightglass on 7th to Starbucks on 2nd, has a wait. You see, when I have to deal with interacting with other humans, my attention zeros-in, like it does at work, on a whole set of human dynamics. In moments where I have to interchange or order coffee, I pause my audio book and have to expend the back-and-forth intrapersonal communication energy which is why I am so thankful that their staff keep me on audiobook pause for the minimum amount of time possible. I thought about making my own coffee but cleaning and relaying the damn reusable – often molded – cup doesn’t seem to work. And plus, I make horrible coffee. So this place processes the whole Soy Latte fast. The patented Peets caffeine jolt throws me right into my performing day. Quality? They make Peets coffee which tastes exactly like Peets coffee which is exactly what I always look for when I go to Petes – they have McDonaldized their coffee quality in a good way. I really love how fast they are. And when they see a line, another employee whizzes right into the second cash register and processes your order. Best of all, they keep it all professional. I mean, for me, if coffee shop staff gets to know you, because they know your name from writing it on the coffee cu, and, as a result, you have to exchange in that extra small talk back-and-forth every day, then I stop going there; here, the furthest they go is remembering your name. If I want to sit down, there are always seats available. Keep up the good work guys.

A MACHINE I TELL YOU

Reviewed 9 May 2016 via mobile

Three coffees and a banana nut muffin for under $10! This peninsula shop close to 101 gave us all a smile with their quick, friendly service and wonderful coffee.

Reviewed 20 April 2016

I have been going to Peets for 20 years and have been regularly satisfied over those 20 years. It doesn't matter which one I go to now. Emeryville, Downtown Oakland, Berkeley on Shattuck. The San Francisco Locations. Peets performance is disappointing.

Here's the back story. I've been buying Arabian Mocha Java beans ground #5 a half pound at a time. The beans are fabulous. A sexy mix of chocolate and coffee. The grind at #5 is necessary for my espresso machine to produce the best results. And though I've been told that I should get my own burr grinder for best results, Peets has done such a great job with the grind or the quality of the coffee that in the time it takes to consume the half pound I buy at a time, I've noticed no deterioration in quality.

And now the story of my disappointment. I've noticed over the last yera that though I've consistently ordered a #5 grind, it either comes out coarser or finer with the result that it drips too fast or too slow. Too fast? the result is watered down coffee. Too slow? the coffee tastes burned.

I can't figure out whether the poor grinding is the fault of poorly trained staff or bad grinding machines. Whatever it is, the results are horrible. Bad coffee.

And the bad results have been consistent over time.

Peets please get it together. I don't want to leave you.

Reviewed 15 October 2015

We visit California from the UK every year and used Peets a lot. However, was disappointed to find toilets in both Piedmont and Fourth St pretty disgusting. I won't go into details in print, but no rest in those rooms.

Reviewed 30 September 2015

In walking around DC, found a Peets coffee, could not wait to go there for a real cup of coffee. Since it was so hot there, I had an iced coffee, a Javiva! Refreshing and hit the spot.