“Very Disappointing - scammed us out of $200!”
Review of Bay Area Bike Share - CLOSED

Bay Area Bike Share
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Bay Area Bike Share and gain access to hundreds of bikes, 24/7. Meet friends, run errands, or connect the "last mile" between the train and your office. Bikes are available in San Francisco, Redwood City, Palo Alto, Mountain View and San Jose.
Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

Checked out two bikes using the daily rate of $9. Left at about 2pm and rode around the city returning the bikes at the exact same kiosk later that day.
Later got a $100 charge for each bike ($200 total) because we did not check it into a kiosk every 30 minutes.
Doesn't this city want to encourage active people who utilize public means of transportation? This method detracts people from utilizing what could be a really great program. I'm from the Midwest and completely disappointed as we have Great Rides bike share in our city...and the program is figured out without scamming for money. Isn't this a non-profit?!? What is the point of taking a bike ride to see the city if all I can do is search for the next kiosk.
Go to a touring company and rent from them. Do not check out a bike using this program.

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

I rented 2 bikes for I thought $9/each/day. They are big clunky heavy bikes but it seemed like a good deal. Apparently we were supposed to "check in" at a kiosk every 30 minutes - although we never saw another one - so we had overage charges totaling $110 for less than 4 hours. I would never use this company again.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

They charge your credit card over $100 as a deposit for the bike, saying it'll be refunded to you within 24 hours. This is totally misleading, it can apparently take 3 to 10 days to be refunded. This is money I could be spending on my holiday, instead I might not even get out back until I'm back home.

Reviewed 17 May 2015 via mobile

I m disappointed I have to write about it but really there are informations that people need to be aware of. I rent the bike for few days, and got deducted a deposit as it s informed when you do the subscription. After the rental period, there was actually no issue with any of the bikes I rent. However 3 month later I still don't have my deposit back... I contacted the staff who actually replied to me. The answer given to me : as you paid with international card, the refund might take longer than American card.. 3 month later I m still waiting for this deposit which is around 120 dollars... I m not even sure as it was such a longtime ago . I sent few emails and answers are similar. On top of that, the locations of the bikes around the city are very limited (this, I should have check more thoroughly when subscribing). To avoid.

1  Thank Fabien L
Ashley T, Manager at Bay Area Bike Share, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2015

Hello Fabien,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with our system. We truly do our best to post our pricing structure and station locations in multiple places, including the station kiosk, twice on screen as part of the purchase process, on maps at each station, and online.

In terms of the account hold, we also try and make sure that the holds are released as soon as possible. In some cases (such as what happened to you), the banks have a harder time communicating to each other causing a delay in the release.

This of course is certainly not your fault - but the inconvenience fell on you. I apologize for that.

Thank you for using our system, Bay Area Bike Share Team.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 February 2015 via mobile

To foreign guys who wants to know SF by bike this is awful! The information in the machine is very confuse and i spend almost $200 bucs with that

1  Thank Gabriel A

Hello Gabriel,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with our system. We truly do our best to post our pricing structure in multiple locations, including the station kiosk, twice on screen as part of the purchase process, on maps at each station, and online.

If you haven't already, please email us at support@bayareabikeshare.com and we'd be happy to look into your account fees.

Thank you, The Bay Area Bike Share Team.