“Amazing Vegan sushi!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Reviewed 18 August 2017

I found this place during a work trip, just by doing a google search for nearby vegan restaurants. I've had vegan sushi in NYC, but this does not even compare! First, the restaurant has a great vibe and is very lively. Many times vegan spots are more cafe style with not much ambiance for the evening. Second, the staff is very friendly, knowledgeable, and are also efficient in their service. If you are overwhelmed with the menu because everything sounds amazing, you can definitely trust your server to guide you. Lastly, but not least, the specialty rolls are works of art. Flavor and presentation. Shizen delivers the total package!

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

The food was so yummy. I definitely recommend the brussel sprouts. The only complaint is the service is mediocre. We waited over an hour & they pretty much forgot about our table once we were seated.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

Best sushi I ever tried.

You could feel every menu option was well thought. From the quality of the produce and the seasoning of the rice to the unique flavours of the sauces on top.

The faux bacon of the ramen... no words!

10/10

Reviewed 11 July 2017

My kids took my husband and I to Shizen for a Father's Day treat. 2/5 of us are vegan. Everything we had was delicious and beautiful. The staff were attentive and helpful. The interior is warm, nicely designed with large windows. We had heard it is busy, so we arrived before opening, waited in line and got a table no problem. We had a great time. The food is on the pricey side for us, so we wouldn't visit regularly.

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

I liked it, but I think it's overrated. I visited here with my vegan friend.

Rolls:
He already explored roll menus and that helped me a lot. His favorite rolls were boddy & soul and the candlestick. They were all very good. The boddy & soul was typical tempura rolls, and the candlestick was more like normal vegan rolls.

Wasabi or horseradish was very weak, probably not fresh.

Ramen:
I had shoyu and my friend had miso ramen. I really enjoyed their smoked tofu chashu, whose appearance and texture was similar to spam, and I love spam. The taste was smoky and meaty. My vegan friend didn't like the chashu because it was meaty. At least, I liked it.

BTW, the noodle was more like Italian Pasta al dante, which is proper way to cook noodle for certain types of pasta dishes. It was weird taste, but at least I found it interesting and liked it. My vegan friend didn't like it. He wanted it to be more like ramen noodle.

The broth was okay for me. Not impressive but not bad. My vegan friend was spoiled by real Japanese vegan ramen broth, so he complained about it. But I think the broth was fair.

Nigiri Sushi:
Well, but it's actually pretty safe to choose vegan rolls. It's not very difficult to make vegan rolls, to be honest. But I couldn't imagine what nigiri sushi would be like. I actually love yuba. I think East Asian vegan food was mainly for buddhist monks. They had to survive with vegan food for a thousand years. Yuba is a popular Japanese vegan food for monks. I ordered yuba nigiri sushi and okra nigiri sushi which the server recommended.

That was one of the worst yuba dish I've ever had. It tasted like... rubber. And someone may imagine "the... rubber". Oops. Okay, I mean typical Japanese yuba salad is way much tastier. I liked okra sushi, but it didn't impress me much.

Overall:
The visual of the food was very good. Can't be better. The taste was not really... impressive. I don't mean it's bad. It's tasty. Bit I think it's definitely overrated. Yes, I know it's vegan food. Vegan food tastes really good if well cooked. I'd say 3.5 stars for this place.