“Fancy AF vegan sushi”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Amazing vegan sushi, super nice presentation, friendly staff! My favourites were the gyoza and the Body&Soul. Dessert was super good as well.

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

I'm NOT vegan or vegetarian. But I've been to Shizen for countless times because I LOOOOVE their food. It's not only delicious but also beautiful and fun. Shizen is definitely a unique restaurant.

I love every food they make, except ramen. (But I've seen someone eating ramen, saying it's incredible. So, their ramen definitely has got fans too.) I always order Nasu Agebitashi and some shiitake dish like Shizen Shiitake and a nigiri of Shiitake. They are so tasty! Gyoza and Croquettes are always grabs our friends hearts. Nigiri of avocado is so beautiful and delicious. Gobo nigiri is great too. Sweet Potato Tempura roll is incredible. All special rolls are beautiful and tasty. I really love everything!!

The only complain about Shizen is that they don't take reservations. I wish they would do that even for half of tables because wait can be super long like 2 hours. But at least when you check-in, you can get the idea of about how long it will take from the hostess. They will text you when the table is ready. You can order drinks at the wait area, but because there are not many chairs and are lots of people coming in, it's not so comfortable to drink there, unless you can get chairs, especially if you are a group. Instead, we go to nearby bars until we get a text when we are a group. Last time, we waited at home until about time.

The most recent visit was with my partner and friends who were visiting SF from France with their teenage kids. One of kids is vegan. So we really wanted to take her to Shizen, and she really wanted to go. We were 7 of us. When my partner went to check-in at 6:30, they said wait was going to be about 2 hours. Our table was actually ready 2 hours later, at 8:30! But it was so worth it. Everybody loved the food. We ordered so many dishes, about 25 orders of food including 4 special rolls. But we ate it all. It was so good.

Our server of the night, Danielle, she was incredible. Even though she was extremely busy, she kept being polite, friendly and attentive. Her genuine hospitality upgraded our fantastic dinner to an extraordinary dining experience.

I can't wait to go back!!

Reviewed 18 August 2017

I found this place during a work trip, just by doing a google search for nearby vegan restaurants. I've had vegan sushi in NYC, but this does not even compare! First, the restaurant has a great vibe and is very lively. Many times vegan spots are more cafe style with not much ambiance for the evening. Second, the staff is very friendly, knowledgeable, and are also efficient in their service. If you are overwhelmed with the menu because everything sounds amazing, you can definitely trust your server to guide you. Lastly, but not least, the specialty rolls are works of art. Flavor and presentation. Shizen delivers the total package!

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

The food was so yummy. I definitely recommend the brussel sprouts. The only complaint is the service is mediocre. We waited over an hour & they pretty much forgot about our table once we were seated.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

Best sushi I ever tried.

You could feel every menu option was well thought. From the quality of the produce and the seasoning of the rice to the unique flavours of the sauces on top.

The faux bacon of the ramen... no words!

10/10