“Very good location and facilities but hotel lacking charisma and attention to detail”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #32 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
A Citizen of the Globe
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This is my third stay at the Nikko hotel in San Francisco in the past 10 years and I can say that the hotel still delivers a great location, unobstrusive service and very good hospitality in general.

The affluence of asian visitors to the hotel is notable and so is the hotel's Japanese heritage. In everything from the hotel's restaurant (ANZU) and the room furnishings, you can sense the Japanese quality flair.

The hotel, however, has not greatly evolved and under new management changes recently, probably should refresh very soon. Some details tell the age and lack of attention to detail quite dramatically, such as the torn (and sewn) drapers, the 1980's sound system and closet doors, for example.

The experience sums up as positive in great part due to the prime location, a few steps away from Union Square, Market St and many other relevant places in town.

This is the kind of hotel where service goes unnoticed and happens behind the scenes. You almost never bump into service people, however, service is conducted impeccably.

The quality of the food is very good, but probably not the best Japanese/Asian that one can find in San Francisco, and of course that will always be a challenge in a city with so much Asian influence and so many gourmet alternatives.

The hotel's fitness center and pool are a highlight and very good to excellent.

The lobby lacks charisma and sense of belonging. It transmits the ethos of an empty office lobby or train station, not much to see, do or enjoy. It could have a vibrant bar scene if it wanted, but for some reason it is kept eerily empty.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Lower floors can be noisy in this part of town.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ultraplur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The hotel is in a great location. It is walking distance to shops, restaurants, trams and buses!
Do not worry about the location of it!

The room was very clean and modern and had your basic hotel amenities.

The only thing that may have made my experience at the Nikko Hotel would have been the staff at check in. It was our first time in San Francisco - the staff didn't offer any maps etc and when asked if they could recommend a place to eat, the staff member directed me to concierge to ask such a simple question that she could have answered herself.
I'm not one to complain about little things like this but one negative point like this almost made me forget about the positives.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank jaql33
NikkoGal, Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear JaqI33
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Nikko. I apologize that your greeting wasn’t as warm as you wished. I have passed your review on to the Front Desk so that they may learn from your experience. Our goal is to have five circles in all areas and your comments help to make our operation better.
Nikko Gal
Miramar, Florida
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel as a recommendation from my coworker. I read alot of reviews about the boutique hotels in San Fran and personally I didn't want to run into issues with room temp, water not working, or dinginess. Hotel Nikko was beautiful. The rooms were comfortable (had a double) and the bathroom was actually really nice and big. Concierge outside was awesome in getting us taxis. The lounge, Anzu, was pretty cool... decent, kind of quiet when i went but I had a cucumber martini after a long day and it was great! The location was prime as the Powell St trolley is a block away, taxis everywhere, and the shops of Union Square are ALL around you. The cons is Union Square has alot of homeless people; they werent an issue but its sad to see so many.

If you want to read my experience at San Fran and see pics of the places I visited and ate at please read my blog at www.smileclickkeep.blogspot.com. My Day 1 included North Beach, Pier 39, Ghirardelli Square, and more!

Hope you found this helpful! :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ChristelleC650
NikkoGal, Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Christelle C.
Thank you for your wonderful review of our property. We are so glad that you enjoyed all that we have to offer. ANZU is known for it's fantastic martinis. they really make winding down in the evening a breeze!
Come back and visit us soon!
Nikko Gal
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed in San Francisco with our three kids (13, 9, and 6) for five days over President's Day weekend, and Hotel Nikko was the perfect place for us to stay.

I booked an Imperial Club Queen-Queen room via AAA, which is the best deal you'll get at this hotel. We had free daily breakfast and afternoon wine/snacks in the Club lounge, free Wi-Fi, free rollaway bed, and free access to the health club/pool for about $310/night (plus tax).

The room was wonderful -- on the 23rd floor, in the corner, and very quiet. Roomy enough for a twin-bed rollaway to fit. The Club level rooms are bigger, which is one of the reasons we upgraded. The furnishings are contemporary and the colors are soothing; slate blue/white/dark wood/neutrals. All the usual stuff for a pretty nice hotel room: iHome alarm clock, flat-screen tv, double-layered light-blocking drapes, large bathroom with separate toilet room and shower/tub room. You can even watch tv on the bathroom mirror :) There was a complimentary fruit platter and large water bottle upon our arrival, and nightly turndown service includes little chocolates.

Breakfast: You actually get a couple of breakfast choices; either the free Continental one in the Club lounge, or use the two daily passes for brunch at Anza, the restaurant downstairs. The first morning we all ate at Anza because we got to the Club lounge within 5 minutes of closing, and the guy was already putting everything away. Anza has an expansive, varied brunch buffet, which included Japanese-style breakfast items (e.g., miso soup, rice, etc.), as well as the usual American-style items. The brunch is normally $25pp, but my husband and I ate for free with our passes, and the kids' buffet was $10pp. Not too bad. The next few days my husband took the kids to the Club lounge for breakfast (they eat fast!), then brought them back to the room, where they watched a couple of cartoons while my husband and I went downstairs to Anza for the full brunch. Nice for us to get a little quiet time before a long busy day gets going, now that our 13 yr old can watch the younger ones for a bit! And you get two brunch buffet passes per night, per room, so you may as well use them.

Pool: Very nice heated pool in a large, heated atrium. Kids loved it. The only problem is the VERY slippery tiles all around the pool area. Holy cow, I almost busted my head open! The kids were sliding around, too, whether barefoot or in flip-flops. Hotel Nikko, please upgrade/change those tiles soon, before someone really gets hurt! There is also a small Jacuzzi there, which I enjoyed.

Lobby/atmosphere: The lobby is nice, the staff friendly, the place is high-end all around but not fussy; more modern. There is a Starbucks in the lobby; always a bonus!

Location: We did not rent a car, so location was crucial, and this place was awesome. 1.5 blocks to the Powell St BART and cable car stop. MUNI stops everywhere. We only took a taxi once (other than the ride from/to OAK airport).

Recommend: If you are going with kids, I highly recommend the CityPASS. What a deal! It just turned out that everything we wanted to do was part of the pass -- for some cities it is not that way at all. We made huge use of the unlimited MUNI (bus) rides and cable car rides.

Would definitely stay here again, with or without the kids.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank cashmyre
George Town, Grand Cayman
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The hotel was beautiful. I stayed for business for 3 nights and 4 days. The rooms were well appointed and the bathroom was very nice. The rooms were cold and it took forever for it to warm up even with the thermostat at 75 degrees. I didn't get a chance to try out the restaurant but the room-service was good. The bar had seasonal drinks and provided us with a good place to chat and hash-out strategies in a lively environment. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. My view had a construction site across from it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business