“Great hotel, great service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renoir Hotel

Renoir Hotel
Ranked #189 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Pomona, California
“Great hotel, great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

I was extremely pleased with this hotel. First, for its excellent hospitality, everyone is really polite and focused on serving their guests. Second, it is really clean and the rooms have cool views of the city. The hotel is not located in a rich part of town, however it is right in front of the BART Station, which can take you everywhere in San Fran, therefore the price is awesome and you are still close to everything. My girlfriend and I took the cable cars everywhere at all times of the night and we had a blast!
Finally, I forgot my clothes in the closet, and the housekeeping department saved it all for me, and was extremely helpful into finding the best way to get them back to me.
I WILL DEFINITELY stay there again if I go to San Francisco.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing Market Street :-)
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank flavia m
RenoirHotel, General Manager at Renoir Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Dear flavia m,
Thank you so much for your complimentary comments, as they are most welcomed! We take great pride in trying to provide our guests with the best experience possible and always feel rewarded when our guest express notice our hard work. As so rightfully pointed out, we are located in downtown San Francisco and surrounded by public transportation and tour buses. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and truly look forward to be of service to you again next time you visit San Francisco.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

I had not been in San Fran in almost 35 years. My motivation to stay at the Renoir was the closeness to BART and the rates. The rooms are clean the staff nice. I realized the neighborhood and homeless sucked also for food I ate at Carls jr the Asian cafes close by were filthy and scary and staff were rude at doughnut and bakery. shoppes. I went to farmers market on weekend If I go back im taking a thermos for my am coffee and buy it at Mc donalds
I dont like starbucks coffee but they have wi fi also the main library has wifi the hotel charges a per day rate I liked the Greek cafe across the library they have a great lunch special. the busses and cable cars and bart run up and down Market or by the hotel the mall where Nordstroms is, has a huge food court, too And most the Walgreens have good fast food too. Safeway by Castro is a very nice supermarket for cold cuts bread and cheese for a picnic or grocery store needs. The hotel needs to offer a continental breakfast the adjacent cafe to hotel to me seemed pricey so I went to carls jr for hot cakes in the am

Room Tip: the tubs nay be hard to climb into if your elderly ask for walk in shower instead the rooms on th...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Dear utahteddybear,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and our neighborhood. We are thrilled that you were pleased with the Renoir Hotel and our staff. Since we are centrally located, there are quite a few restaurant options surrounding us. We would like to mention a traditional Italian restaurant named Little Joe’s , that is situated in the Renoir Hotel and just a few steps from the lobby. Of course, we are always at our guest’s disposal when it comes to referrals and booking tables! We hope you will come back to San Francisco soon and stay with us again.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

This hotel is a joke, don't even think about staying there.

The hotel is surrounded by a large homeless population along with strip clubs and drug dealers. I also heard shooting during the night when I stayed. Besides the location, the quality of rooms are terrible. There were roaches roaming around when I was taking my shower, and the room spelled like pine sol. The worst part is, I paid a hundred bucks to live in this place!

Also, that was my first experiences in San Francisco. Fortunately, I checked out right away the next morning and booked another hotel in the CBD. SF is a lovely city, but this hotel really compromised my first stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Nicholas P
Dear Nicholas P,
We regret to hear that you were displeased with the Renoir Hotel. We do not market our property as high end, but more on the moderate end of the choices available. While every property has its share of pests, we do not have roaches roarming around the room and we do not use Pine Sol, which is a consumer product and not meant for commercial use because it does not offer the level of sanitization required for businesses. There is no doubt San Francisco has a homeless problem. This is a city wide issue caused by overly generous programs which not only allow some of the natives to stay status-quo, but it also attracts homeless from throughout the United States to settle here. Yet, as a business, we try to do what we can to provide a welcoming and pleasurable experience to our guests. We regret you did not inform us of your concerns while still here to allow us to opportunity to correct any dissatisfaction immediately. It is difficult to offer a solution when the complaint is announced after the fact.

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Whistler, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

We stayed at the Renoir hotel in September next time we will be finding another hotel. It was clean and the hotel staff were quite friendly, but the surrounding streets were a little bit scary, we looked outside of our window and saw people using drugs and our tour driver told us not to leave the hotel at night as it was not safe. It was only 2 streets away from the nice part of the city and there is a little club in the hotel which gets busy. we did have a good time, beautiful city.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RenoirHotel, General Manager at Renoir Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
Dear Michellejade_11,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to note that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel and regret that you felt unsafe outside. We make every effort into making our guests feel welcome and at home, and it is always a bit disheartening when outside elements which are beyond our control prevent us from doing the best job possible. We do agree with you that San Francisco has a big homeless population and hope the city will soon take some effective actions to resolve this unfortunate situation. We hope you will keep us in mind should you come back to San Francisco.

Colmar, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Due to Oracle Open Wolrd convention it was one of the few hotels with remaining capacity.
It was a terrible experience, both outside and inside the hotel. Here the details:

Location:
The hotel is itself a triangle block as you can see on its home page. Hence, All rooms, without exception, are directly exposed to 2 streets, one being Market street (one of the main downtown street for those not familiar with SF).
The sector is know as the red light sector of the city by the locals, and is actually crouded of homeless, drunk or drugged people. I always took a taxi ride to the hotel from Union Square in order to arrive safe. The hotel might be considered as closed from all the SF "highlights", but considering the night rates you'd be advised to add all the taxi fares you'll have to pay to feel safe.
Inside:
It goes on with simple layer windows where triple layer windows would be recommended considering the noisy environment. The bathroom was so tiny, without any possibility to place my few bath items (1 deo 1 teethbrush and pasta), that I had to leave these items outside of the bathroom.

The towels were obviously so outdated, that 75% of them appeared to be grey compared to the 25% "new" ones being closer to white color. No iron was available. The elevators are vibrating a lot, giving the impression they can drop off at any moment. It stinks in the corridors.

The managers are pointing out the municipality for the terrible environment (see owner feedbacks), but obviously do not undertake anything to improve the hotel, inclusing what is under there sollely control.

In one word : avoid the place !!! If no other option is available: reschedule your trip !

PS: two long black hairs in the bath tub were showing me that the cleaning has also space for improvment.

Room Tip: if your are forced to stay there, apparently the topmost floor limits the noise, but do not expect m...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Discus69
Dear Discus69,

We regret to hear that you had a dissatisfactory experience. We pride ourselves on having a friendly staff and clean rooms. We are located in the downtown of San Francisco, and unfortunately the homeless situation is a city wide spread condition. As for the bathrooms, perhaps they do not compare with the newer or chain properties, but are of decent size for an older property. As for our inventory of towels and linen, we replace them every 6 months to ensure the supply is fresh and clean and updated as much as possible. Our Housekeeping staff does a good job to sort through soiled goods which goes right into the recycle bin to be used for its second life. We keep our irons at the Front Desk and would have been happy to deliver one to your room if requested. Our elevator may not be the fastest in town, but we do have them serviced monthly. We are always trying to provide our guests with the best service possible and wished you had brought up those concerns during your stay as we feel we could have improved your stay. Thank you for taking the time to go into such detail, and hope that we addressed some of your concerns.