“Nice hotel”

Hotel Vertigo
Ranked #69 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and we were very pleased with the hotel. The rooms are fairly small but clean and has been recently decorated with a boutique feel to it. The location is just a few blocks from union square where you can get all the public transport (I'd suggest a muni pass if you are travelling around). Lots of places to eat within a couple of blocks. The hotel can arrange a shuttle to the airport if needed.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Dear Katy378,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our hotel during your four-night stay with us and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

Thank you also for sharing your suggestion about transportation around the area as well as the local restaurants located within steps of the hotel, as there are certainly great eats to be experienced!

We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest on your next visit into San Francisco!

Best regards,

Nick Dalisay
Area Director of Sales
Haiyi Hotels Worldwide

Write a ReviewReviews (1,421)

Reviewed 6 June 2012

In terms of location, this hotel is in a very quiet location but still within walking distance to union square. I really prefer NOT to stay in union square because of the craziness of the area. And what do you really get to see in union square? Macy’s, bloomies, saks, the big stores. So unless your goal is to do some shopping in SF then I would not advise to stay in union square. Besides, you really cant do way too much walking in SF unless you want to do some serious cardio workout and want to look all sweaty all day. Yes I did try to walk my way around since I am used to walking miles but those hills are quite a challenge even to the most fit person. Walking a mile in SF can be quite a challenge. The key is to get a day pass on the muni that allows you to use the bus, cable cars, muni trains which makes it worth it. This way you can just hop in and out of public transportation to get to places. The 1 day pass is 14 while the 3 day is I think 24. Its worth it.

I only stayed at Hotel Vertigo for a couple of nights because it was the only rate that was similar to the weekend rate that I got from the Renaissance Stanford Square which I have another review for. To sum up this hotel, think European 3 star hotel with a boutique touch. The rate was 150 total per night on a weekday which is quite cheap for SFO. The first room I stayed at is room 620. The room was small but it has everything you need and it was very clean. Internet is free, refrigerator, toiletries, and all the touches in a regular good hotel are in the room.

In terms of quality of sleep, I didn’t hear noises from the outside however, the soundproofing in this hotel is very poor. I am a very light sleeper and I was awakened by noises of people talking in the hallway, slamming doors, footsteps above me and just loud banging sounds from adjacent rooms. It was a very rough first night, no sleep. Even with earplugs I can hear these sounds. My next night was better as I transferred to the top floor room 720. They have one small and slow elevator so if ur not way up high then just use the stairs.

I needed to work in my room using my laptop and the signal on the 6th floor is very poor. I talked to Luis the manager about this and he worked with me to get my issue resolved and was allowing me to shorten my stay without penalties if the issue was not resolved. If you need reliable wireless connection, you need to be on the 3, 5 and 7th floors, you will see antennas sticking out of the ceiling and that’s where the wifi comes from. One thing that I really like about this hotel is the level of service that Luis and Genevie provided during my very short stay.

So in summary, if you are not a very light sleeper and you want an affordable clean and solid 3 star hotel in a location that is not away from the center but not smack middle then this hotel might be for. I on the other hand don’t see myself coming back due to being a very light sleeper.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank AlexisRF

Dear AlexRobin,

We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us and with the Trip Advisor community. I am glad that you found our accommodations satisfactory. It is certainly nice to be just a few blocks from Union Square. However, I do apologize that we fell short of your overall expectations regarding the internet access and the noise issue. However, I am pleased to hear that our Hotel Manager, Luis was able to assist in every way he could to make things better and offered as many resoultions as possible to meet your satisfaction.

Thank you also for sharing your tip about the Muni day pass with our future guests as this certainly will make getting around the city much easier, whether by bus, trolley or on a world famous San Francisco cable car!

Thank you again for your feedback!

Best regards,

Nick Dalisay
Area Director of Sales
Haiyi Hotels Worldwide

Reviewed 2 June 2012

The hotel was in a good location for me, close to financial district. Don't expect any in house restaurants or bars. The hotel was old but clean and the staff was very helpful with directions, dining suggestions and activities to do. The room was quiet so I slept well and the beds were comfortable. It was a very "dated" hotel.

Room Tip: no pool, no restaurant, no rooom service. If all you want to do is sleep it's ok for the money...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Troy S
Reviewed 30 May 2012

The hotel lobby is very nice. AND the location is easy to get around. Morning staff are very friendly Greg and Genevie. But the afternoon shift are not helpful. And the manager is not
around when the staff needs him/her which is not good.The room itself is very comfortable.The decor is very hippy. The price is reasonable. But the parking is too expensive and it will take you
30 minutes to get your car. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I was looking to spend one night in San Francisco and started looking for hotels. Hotel Vertigo stood out because it seems like a great value for the area of SF that it is in. When I got there, I was actually a little surprised. The building looked old but the inside was definitely redone. As most other reviewers pointed out, the lobby is definitely a bit funky.

My room was large and well appointed. It was on the second floor facing the back so I had no view. Not that it mattered, I wasn't planning to stay in the room for long anyway and the room was quiet. Like the building, the room felt a bit tired. There were robes in the closet but they were definitely a little thin. The bathroom was great though and well appointed.

The staff at the hotel was very bright and cheerful. For me, that is always important for a good hotel experience. They gave good instructions and were very prompt with their responses. I valet my car since I was too lazy to look around for parking. It was definitely expensive but it was good to not have to worry about parking or moving our luggage. One word of warning though, you need to give the valet about 30 minutes to get your car.

In terms of location, the hotel was definitely close to Union Square. It is probably just a 10 minute walk at most. It is also about a 15 minute walk to Chinatown. We left our luggage with the hotel while we explored the area the next morning. That was a big convenience and a definitely plus for the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are definitely quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple