“Lunch at a Japanese Grill”
Review of Gentle Brook Cafe

Gentle Brook Cafe
Ranked #43 of 117 Restaurants in Saipan
Price range: US$5 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 December 2016

I don't know if Japan has "grills" but if it does, this is probably what it would be. Extensive menu of Japanese items along with their interpretations of local and American dishes, I had a lunch of a Japanese style of Hamburger steak which was breaded and fried, like tempura, and served with tonkatsu sauce. Along with it was a selected serving of pork yakiniku, like teriyaki, a small side salad, and a small cup of soup. My wife had a bacon cheese burger with french fries that she thoroughly enjoyed. We would definitely eat there again.

Reviewed 11 November 2016 via mobile

Decided to have lunch at the Marianas Business Plaza. Gentle Brook is located on the first floor. Food is excellent and staff try hard. The place needs more waitstaff. The wait sometimes is long but worth the wait. Come early it gets busy.

Reviewed 8 November 2016 via mobile

The first time I went there I wasnt sure what to expect. I don't visit restaurants or cafe too often but it was close to my work place and I eanted to eat somewhere outside after a stressful day at work. When I first entered the cafe I took my time observing my surroundings and I walked around the cafe a bit before settling down. From what I saw the room was spacious, they had a pool table on one corner with a aquatic theme, and on another corner had big tables to accomodate big groups. There were other tables in between though it only supported for people to sit on. Spacing between these tables were well thought out because you dont feel cramp when sitting down on them (which I felt and saw when i dined there again). After choosing a corner with a window view and a high stool to sit on I waited for quite a bit of time (30 mins avg) for them to notice and serve me. On point of contact they were very professional, courteous, and friendly. But the wait between them noticing you, takimg your order, and serving your food can be a long time and can fet irritating when your in a rush. They have excellent 2 combo meals to choose from at good prices that they can leave you full for the average person. For example, I paid for $10 for kametsu hamburger + boneless japaense chicken + white rice + salad + unlimited drinks of ice tea or green tea which filled me up nicely.
They also hace some nice background music going on and decor is unique, especially if you look up near the center of the restaurant as you can see those old fashion windows we see a lot in disney movies from years ago (1st thing that pop into my mind upon seeing) that was lightly decorated. It really does give the feeling of a "gentle brook" where you can relax and enjoy.

Conclusion:
Pros: Decent food, nice atmosphere to relax, good customer service ONLY on point of contact (when they approach and coverse with you).

Cons: can have long wait times between noticing you and serving you.

I would only reccomend this restaurant to those who dont mind the wait and are not in a rush to use this time to chat or simply relax while the food is being prepared and serve.

Reviewed 5 September 2016

Gentle Brooks is owned by a Japanese. Because of this, I expected the food to be delicious. Japanese people are known to provide excellent service and cook delicious meals. I was not expecting much from the service, because majority of the restaurants on island do not know much about CUSTOMER SERVICE. As I've mentioned, I expected the food to be delicious, but it was just TERRIBLE! A friend and I spent less than $20 for two sets of meal, but I could have saved my $20 and gladly spend more on food that actually tastes good! I ordered a loco moco with vegetables on top. To my surprise, the burger had no sauce at all! All it had was a salad dressing, which by the way tasted bland. Burger was also hard and dry. Believe it or not, the burger tasted like frozen burger, heated up on a microwave! What Japanese-owned restaurant does that? UNBELIEVABLE! Loco moco came with a cup of miso soup, which was also terrible. MISO SOUP WAS SERVED COLD!

1  Thank Food_Friend670
Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

First timers to the restaurant and as i entered the restaurant we werent greeted, we werent seated. Found about 4 tables needed to be cleaned. Finally a staff noticed me. Sat us down at a dirty table and had to watch the staff clean. Ordered 1 $10 lunch set and the chicken terayaki.
The lunch set came but wasnt hot! Really! Like its been sitting for awhile. Then came tye chicken teriyaki, looks yum but as i started to cut from on end working my way to the center, i discovered it was uncooked (yes, raw!) In the center. Made a complaint with the waitress. She took the chicken terayaki and had the chef cook another. Finally, spoke to the manager....she then told me so many sorries and how the chef is a good cook but need training everyday. Really. The training should have been done prior to the start of their job. I asked the manager if their procedures were to check the temperature of the food and she did not answer. She continued saying sorry sorry sorry. I lost my appetite, got up, and left --paying only for the $10 lunch set (fried chicken etc). The manager rushed towards us with the chicken terayaki in a to-go-box begging for us to take it home. But i refused... said no thank u and left. This was about 3 hours ago and i still havent ate lunch.