“Ghosts and history all rolled up!!”

Ghost Tours of Harpers Ferry
Ranked #2 of 4 Tours in Harpers Ferry
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: America's oldest ghost tour is an approximate two hour walking tour around several blocks of the historic "Lower Town" section of Harpers Ferry viewing a number of sites and buildings that have had ghostly phenomenon reported in or around them over the years. Tour includes both legends and historical events which may account for some of the ghostly happenings. These stories of Harpers Ferry's history, legends and unexplained phenomenon are appropriate for children of all ages. Always best to call to make a reservation and check website for dates that we are closed.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 29 October 2017

Great tour which combined a lot of history with a some fun ghost stories. This really made the history of the town come alive even moreso than all the exhibits we went into and plaques we read. Definitely recommend!! Just be sure to plan your evening well....the entire town seems to shut down around 7PM, so be ready for some down time. And bring layers...it was cool in the morning, nice during the day, and cold at night.

1  Thank LillyZackMom
"spooky stories"
in 7 reviews
"fun evening"
in 8 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 14 reviews
"civil war"
in 22 reviews
"train station"

Reviewed 23 October 2017

We just did this Saturday evening and were very pleased. A great mixture of the history, why it is being preserved and how the hauntings began. Dress for the cold weather in the evening that will descend upon everyone when the sun goes down usually by 10 -20 degrees. Walking shoes with ankle support are a must and lights / lanterns are good. No one will be disappointed. The tours was well structured and give guidance on how to do further reading on the subject matter at hand. You will have fun, might see a "Orb" or two if you are lucky. Bring your camera. Drinks like a canteen, or for afterwards is a must and this is very step hill.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

the tour gave a good background of the history of harper's ferry. it was an engaging history lesson but I didn't think spooky at all. however, we did have a fun and enjoyable time. you will want to wear good walking shoes and bring a small lantern or flashlight. although the day was warm and sunny, we followed my daughter's good advise and brought sweaters and jackets (she reminded us we were near the rivers and between 2 mountains) and when the sun dipped down we were glad to have them. this is a good tour to take to combine history and a little ghostly fun

Reviewed 16 October 2017

This tour was thoroughly fun and enjoyable, especially on a warm fall night. Starting at 8pm, it was two hours of listening to enjoyable stories as well as a healthy dose of history. Even being the only member of my family who is skeptical about the supernatural, I enjoyed it.
Some notes. First, you are outside the entire time, so dress appropriately. I think it says this on the website, but there are no bathroom breaks and honestly the historic town rolls up the streets after dinner, so I'm not sure there were many options. Parking for this was much easier than when we came in the daytime. We brought both of our dogs, and there were a couple of others besides ours there. As long as they are behaved, I don't think it is a problem.
As for the stories themselves, they are spooky but not graphic. My 9-year-old (who isn't the boldest kid) was fine. Obviously the little ones will get pretty tired by the time it is over - a little after 10pm.
Overall I can see why this is highly rated, and very reasonable considering the time commitment.

1  Thank MarkUSNA1998
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 October 2017

Went here on my family trip last month. From NYC/ jersey area...with wife and two kid..teenage girls, plus another family and their teenage son. All of us loved it...LOVED IT. Any time my teenagers actually pay attention on a tour...that moment is special...they never listen unless make up or Taylor swift is the topic. This tour, they were hanging on the tour guides every word. We did this on our first of four days in West Virginia, and all we talked about was this tour. The mix of history and scary tales had all of us a buzz, and walking the tour in daylight the next day. I can't say enough about this tour. It would be an injustice if you don't do this

1  Thank Michael A
rickgmail, Owner at Ghost Tours of Harpers Ferry, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Wow! Thanks so much for attending my tour and for the great review! I'm so glad that everyone enjoyed it!