“Too soft and too high beds”
Review of Apache Motel

Apache Motel
Ranked #35 of 37 Hotels in Moab
Reviewed 12 May 2008

I booked this hotel because of the promised good beds.
What a disappointment: never had such uncomfortable soft beds.

Moreover they were that high that you really had to climb in!

Didn't feel at home in this motel.

A nice treat is the fact that at the reception there is not only coffee the whole day, but allso tea and hot chocolate.

Reception was not very friendly.
In spite of a somewhat longer stay (3 nights), preferences were not hounoured.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 April 2008

If you don't mind hard double beds (or so I was told when I called to make a reservation), be sure to request a room with their newer queen beds that are oh, so comfortable! Best motel bed I've ever had the pleasure to sleep on. We were upstairs in the back (#45 - the sun sets on this side), away from the road, but beware. . . there is a VERY LOUD ROOSTER back there on the other side of the parking lot - to the left - who loves to voice his opinion way before any hint of dawn!!! If you're not a rooster lover, you may want to keep the windows closed and have the under-the-window air conditioner turned on, or use ear plugs, or you may be awakened around +/- 4 a.m. by his stentorian crows! Speaking of the air conditioner - the first day it was too warm in our room and I tried to set the a/c to cool us off, but it only blew tepid air, and not very well, even though it was set at the coldest, most powerful level. I thought it was broken. So, I went down to the office to ask about the a/c and was told that some rooms have units that can be used as both a heater and an air conditioner, but some have one or the other disabled, so they had to convert our unit to work as a cooler. This was during the transition period between cool and hot weather. All a/c units should be set to cool in the near future. The property is old (John Wayne slept there) and does not offer all of the amenities of a newer motel chain, but that does not detract from its charm. There are no facial tissues in the bathroom, no in-room coffee maker or continental breakfast in the lobby, but good coffee (caffeinated only) and hot chocolate are offered in the lobby in the morning. But, in my humble opinion, they propbably have the most comfortable (QUEEN) beds around.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crane-maniac
Reviewed 29 October 2007

We asked for a room on the first floor - I am in a wheelchair. They said fine. We arrive, and all they have left is second floor. Barbara at the front desk claims we did not ask for first floor. Having been in the wheelchair for over 30 years you'd think I'd remember. And what I do remember in this case is staying next to my wife as she was calling in the reservation and hearing her asking for a room on the first floor. Look up our trip planning notes (always ask for the name of the person taking the reservation) - Barbara. No wonder, screw up, then blame the customer. No apology, no attempt to help (any other place you'd recommend? - There aren't any, Moab is sold out. And how would she know that?). The best she could do was cancel our reservation. Great service! The first motel down the street (Rustic Inn) had a vacancy. Will never stay there again, and will not recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank vadimkSeattle
Reviewed 25 October 2007

We were pleased with the Apache Motel for the following reasons: Brand-new beds (VERY Comfortable!), large closet area (plenty of room for your bikes), fridge in room, and off the main road in a quiet residential area. There is also coffee, tea and cocoa available in the office. We had a great dinner at the Moab Brewery on Main Street (a popular spot).
Some other ammenities that we didn't use were the outdoor pool, and the community microwave in the office.
Some minor issues that might bother people were the creaky floor (we were upstairs, not sure how noisy the creaking was for the room below us), one of those toilets which has a handle you have to keep holding while flushing, and we had an older TV. All of these issues are due to the fact that this motel is older (John Wayne is its claim to fame).
If you are willing to put up with the little quirks, you'll save a lot of money by staying here. It seems like a popular place, it was completely full both days we were there. It's quiet and comfortable, and a nice little local motel.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Loves2Travel77
Reviewed 23 October 2007

My husband and I spent three nights at the Apache in September. It was the last stop on our Utah Road trip, and my brother, a Moab regular, had booked it for us as a wedding present.
What a nice surprise to walk in and find wedding balloons and candy! I spoke to my brother later and he insisted that it was a present from the hotel.
We had a spacious room on the second floor with a fridge and microwave. Everything was clean, comfortable and quiet. Just what we wanted.
We loved the charm of the hotel and everyone who worked there seemed to genuinely love their town and hotel. Will definelty stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple