“Immerse yourself in the life of the Manhattan Project . . .”

Los Alamos Historical Museum
Ranked #5 of 28 things to do in Los Alamos
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Stayed in the area an extra day to see these museum buildings. My wife had lived in Los Alamos as a child, so reconnecting with her roots was big part of our 6 week trip in the Southwest. Each of the volunteers helped make the historical areas like Bathtub Row come alive with their knowledge of each building and its history - plus the curious people who lived here in the 40's, 50s, & 60s. They aided us also in finding old locations no longer in use, and great photo ops that we later were able to chat about together. Very personalized education after 60 years . . . The Hans Bethe House was especially interesting to us when we found a model ( like ours at home) of the NS Savannah on display. Her father has 5 patents for its reactor, so it was a nice find. Then I walk outside & find I'm looking over the fence at Oppenheimer's House! Amazing things at every turn . . .
All in all I would highly recommend the Museum to any tech oriented kid or adult. Combined with the Bradbury, it's worth an hour drive from Sante Fe (unless it's snowing . . . )

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Drove from Taos to see this museum, and we were lucky to make it in time for the 11am tour, which lasted 90 minutes. The tour guides, a husband / wife team, had lived in Los Alamos and raised a family in the community - they helped make the historical sites come alive with their in-depth knowledge of the buildings, the history, and the people who worked together here in the 40's - and, continue to do so. We are completing a nearly month on-the-road, and this museum and place was an important objective of the trip ... we were most pleased we came.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

My husband and I had the opportunity to take a tour of this Museum with a husband and wife volunteer tour guide team. They each took turns talking about the buildings, the pond, the memory garden etc. They really did seem to enjoy what they did which always gives a little more insight to a tour. Once again, it verified how all Americans pulled together during the war.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Small but informative packed museum. My wife and I really enjoyed this place. We learned a lot about some interesting facts.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

This has some very interesting historical information in about 3 buildings related to the Manhattan Project. They are working to include more sites and displays. In time it could be more beneficial to visit. It is mostly operated by volunteers who are understaffed.