“Loved Our Stay”
Review of Almont Resort

Almont Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gunnison
Almont Resort
Reviewed 9 December 2015

From first phone call to check-out, the service was great. Was given a super rate for myself and two friends. Stayed in "cabin" more of a house #24 A and B. Very comfortable and clean. Greeted with warmth of gas fireplace upon entering house. Yes, more coffee mugs, mixing bowls would be nice, but we were provided paper goods and toiletries which usually are not provided in rental cabins. Cleanliness and great rate and efficient staff are important to me. Thanks, Harold and Cassie.

Stayed: December 2015

Reviewed 20 October 2015

This is really more of a hunter/fisherman cabin than a "resort" cabin. However, it was clean. Here are the pros and cons of our experience there:
Pros
Clean cabin and bedding
Really good food and service in the restaurant!
Full bar with sports on the TVs behind the restaurant
Wifi in restaurant
Pleasant maid to switch-out towels, etc.
Fire pit & charcoal grill & picnic table at cabin

Cons
No TV in room (this may be a plus for some wanting to really get away)
No wifi in room
No kitchen in the cabin we had - although we did have a microwave, mini fridge & coffee pot
Our room had older, not-so-comfy mattresses
No place to set or hang anything on in the bathroom - bare bones.
If you order a spirit "on the rocks" in the bar, you will be charged extra because a "rocks pour" is a bigger shot. Good to know in advance.

I would recommend this place if you know what it is going in. The location is absolutely beautiful. A little pricey for what the cabin was, in my opinion, but not an unpleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurie V
Reviewed 30 September 2015

Pros: Comfortable bed and a roof over our head.
Cons: Our cabin was right next to a very busy road. The interior was very worn, light shown from under the doors, no hangers for clothes, nails sticking out of the walls (one in a very precarious spot when getting out of bed in the middle of the night), the kitchen pots and pans have seen better days, no decent sized bowl to make a salad in, or even a colander if you wanted to are pasta. The towels and wash rags were worn and some were even thread bare. Good thing we had good weather and we could be outside during the day.
We were told there was maid service....this turned out to be, daily trash removal and towel exchange....nothing more.
We ate at the restaurant Friday evening so it was all you could eat fish fry dinner. The problem being, we got one hush puppie each, and when we asked for another one, we were told, the all you can eat is only for the fish...really?? I asked for soup, and never received it, but it did show up n the bill, along with a charge of $1.25 or $1.50 for rocks that my husband had ordered when he asked for scotch on the rocks. Needless to say we disputed both, they got taken off after a lengthy explanation that rocks mean you get a bigger pour. Have never heard of that one before. We didn't go back for any other meal.
The people who run the front desk were practically nonexistent, meaning they were not available to talk with. When checking in, my husband had to ask questions about what was offered, and so on, nothing was volunteered, not even where our cabin was. The few times we tried to talk to someone, they were either not there or on the phone, and attended to us while on the phone. So we had no way of complaining about the conditions. The amount they charge per night is much more than what this 'resort' is worth.
When I went to return our cabin keys the day we left, there was no one at the desk, and the waitress just yelled across the room, just leave the keys at the desk, seeing I said we checked out the night before. So, we never got the opportunity to say how we felt. I did write a similar letter to their website, but have not heard a word back from them.

Don't go here looking for a resort, or for anything above a hunting cabin with bare necessities.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms on the restaurant side of the road would be better
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2015

I checked into this beautiful resort , nestled by an attractive stream just outside Crested Butte on 22 August. A friend and I motorcycled in after 311 miles, from Saratoga Wyoming. We skipped lunch so I was hungry enough to eat the tail off a skunk. WE checked in, and sat down for dinner, ordering the Cobb salad. It was piled high with greens, and had a single slice of bacon and one boiled egg. Service was slow, in spite of the fact the dinning room was almost empty, save for two other tables. My friend ordered the all you can eat fried fish. When he asked for more cole slaw, he was told there was an extra charge for that. This approach - to charge extra for little things - is clearly evident and seems to indicate a cost savings measure.
I woke up the next day with a case of what apparently was a case of food poising. I spent the morning vomiting and dealing with a terrible headache. Since i had skipped lunch , l can say with certainty it was the food i ate in the dinning room the night before. I would not recommend this Almont Resort to anyone who was contemplating eating any meal in the dining room.
The penny pinching continued with the breakfast menu when my buddy ordered the "Ranchers' Special" which for some reason contained no meat- it had to be ordered separately for three dollars for a single slice of sausage more indications of placing cost above service. The coffee was terrible.
Stay here for the bucolic views and quiet grounds, but stay out of the dining room.

Stayed: August 2015
2  Thank david n
Reviewed 17 September 2015

The East River and Taylor River converge to form The Gunnison River about fifty yards from The Almont Resort. A collection of quaint cabins sitting directly on the banks of both The Eas and Taylor. The lodge is a throwback to the forties, fiftie and sixties, a terrific river rock fireplace, comfy sofas and chairs. Wood everywhere. Menu beautifully covers all three meals. Take-Out lunch for anglers is the ticket. The best bar in the entire neighborhood. The owners want you happy, and it shows.The Almont Angler is in the lodge. The highest quality flies, period. And everything you'll require to catch trout in three world-class trout streams.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gunnison
0.3 km away
14.9 km away
Quality Inn Gunnison
Quality Inn Gunnison
#9 of 12 in Gunnison

Been to Almont Resort? Share your experiences!