“Great place !”

Ranked #88 of 737 Restaurants in Asheville
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Established in 1997, Jack of the Wood is one of downtown Asheville's first and oldest pubs. We have numerous local craft brews to try, and are now serving a fresh menu of artisanal sandwiches like Philly cheesesteaks, Classic Rueben sandwiches, Pub Burgers and more! Our Bluegrass Jam on Thursdays @ 7pm, live local music Friday & Saturday @ 7:30pm, or every Sunday is our Bluegrass Brunch from 12:30-3pm! Sláinte!
Reviewed 3 April 2020

Jack of the Wood is one of Asheville’s first, and continues to be one of the best brewpubs in the area much like a real British Pub !

Date of visit: March 2020
Write a reviewReviews (501)

Reviewed 25 February 2020

Food is ok, but the entertainment is so much fun! We were there when locals were playing. They were really good and made our evening enjoyable. Fries with cheese and bacon were good. Burgers were ok but nothing special. Lauren was good server. What makes this place stand out is the nightly entertainment.

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 9 February 2020

I use to walk through Jack of the Wood as a kid when visiting Asheville because my dad was always amused by the stairs between it and the vegan restaurant above. Now, as an adult, I truly enjoy eating here because the food is amazing and they have local beer. On my last visit I got the nachos which were the best nachos of my life. We went back on this visit so I could get them again but they are only served after 9:30PM. My husband and I decided to try some appetizers to share instead and we got the vegetarian bread spread and the pretzel with cheese. We also got a flight with 4 local beers - Green Man of course because of the affiliation, then a Ginger's Revenge and a Tart Cherry Cider. The food was really good and while the beers other than the Green Man ESB weren't amazing, it was fun to sample them in the flight. This is definitely a restaurant we will continue to visit!

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 19 January 2020 via mobile

Went out with some friends for drinks and food. Two of our party of four arrived early. It took awhile to get drinks (and it wasn’t late so no crowd yet). Me and my friend had almost finished our drinks by the time the other two girls arrived. It had taken so long to get drinks to begin with, and our waitress never came back to ask about their drink orders, so when she finally did, we told her we were closing our tab. She asked where we were going, and when we told her, she said “good luck with that “. I will not be going back there.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 8 January 2020

We decided to stay in Asheville on our drive down to Florida. Of course, we needed to find some place to have dinner. While in the Visitor Center, I notice an poster for Jack of the Wood, saying they had a Live Music Showcase night. We were not disappointed! Friendly staff, great food, good beer list, fabulous entertainment.

Date of visit: January 2020