“Yummy pastry in small & large bites”

Karen Donatelli Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 26 Bakeries in Asheville
Price range: US$8 - US$10
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 9 December 2017

What a wonderful find on our visit to Asheville. Pastry offerings come in full size portions and also smaller portions so that you can sample a couple of offerings. I had a small coconut cream pie and small almond pear tart. Both had wonderful crusts and fillings. Staff was friendly and a delight to talk with. We will be back to sample more of the great offerings. They also had a nice cookie selection and lunch.

KareDona, Owner at Karen Donatelli Bakery and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Hello TravelTN33!

Thank you for visiting us and especially for taking the time to write in to TripAdvisor with your stellar review! We love our customers and a re passionate about baking for them! I am so happy that you enjoyed your visit with us and I look forward to your return! Happy Holidays and thank you very much!

Chef Karen Donatelli

Reviewed 29 November 2017

We wondered into this attractive cafe while shopping hoping to get a snack and cup of coffee. We had an odd experience. My wife saw an attractive quiche in the display by the register (with all the other pastries offered). However, when she ordered it (at 3pm) she said that they couldn't serve it anymore. We asked why because it was sitting write there and she said it was too late. Another nearby worker said they would ask somebody. After a few minutes, someone came out and served us the quiche. Odd that organizational problems are found in a small business like this. By the way, the quiche was good, but not worth the fuss and wait. I ordered the 'sticky' cinnamon bun which they did serve, but did not offer to heat. I also ordered plain coffee but they said they were out and would make some. The coffee came right around the time I finished by cinnamon bun, which was good but not great. With all the other competition in the area for coffee and pastries, I would not go back, but I understand that I just may have had bad luck.

KareDona, Owner at Karen Donatelli Bakery and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Hello Charlie,

My sincere apologies that you had this experience at my bakery. I did ask my staff, and the ladies did not recall this incident, but I assure you that our customers are most important and the service they receive should be stellar! Every item in our case is available to our customers, we do however end lunch service about 4:00 pm, however our quiche is always available to be heated and served to our wonderful customers that visit us. We are well known for our exceptional service, our pastries, coffee beverages, lunch and our quiche. I apologize that your experience was not what you hoped for, we want our customers to enjoy the entire experience while with us! Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I do hope that you will try us again in the future, we look forward to your return!

-Chef Karen Donatelli, Owner

Reviewed 26 November 2017

I've been married to a Frenchman for 40+years and have eaten my fair share of croissants both here and in France. KD's almond croissant is without a doubt the BEST croissant I've ever tasted in the States, and possibly France too. Made from scratch - almost unheard of today.. it's light, buttery, flaky on the outside with just enough softness inside without being doughy.. It's expensive and worth it: an art. Well done! The latte was great too, and the young woman who served me very friendly. If you want to know how an authentic croissant should taste, look no further. Je reviens, merci!

KareDona, Owner at Karen Donatelli Bakery and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your lovely review, it is greatly appreciated! Yes, the croissants are a true labor of love and made fresh every day. It means more to us that our customers such as you understand and truly appreciate all the work that goes into these beautiful croissants! We make them just for you, and we look forward to your return very soon :)

-Karen Donatelli

Reviewed 29 October 2017

The Karen Donatelli Bakery and Cafe had been on my list to visit for some time and I finally had an opportunity to stop in. The cafe is a lovely setting perfect for relaxing alone or with friends for either lunch or coffee and pastry. My cappuccino was perfectly made and the almond croissant divine. I will definitely return to try some of the other delights in the pastry case. Recommended!

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Love to go here for almond croissants....you need to call ahead to reserve one as they go quickly. Nice place for a light lunch. Absolutely beautiful creations.

KareDona, Owner at Karen Donatelli Bakery and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Hello Gladyce!

Thank you for the wonderful review, especially taking the time in sending it to TripAdvisor! I sincerely appreciate you stopping in and having one of our delightful almond croissants! I look forward to seeing you again soon, thank you again Gladyce!

-Karen Donatelli