“Great Sushi Tasting Menu”
Review of Pabu

Pabu
Reserve with OpenTable
Pabu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #557 of 3,393 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$20 - US$150
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: A modern izakaya & sushi bar by Chefs Michael Mina & Ken Tominaga, PABU presents a menu ideal for convivial dining -Small Plates, Sushi, Robatayaki, Entrees, Steaks, and Dessert.. Not to be missed, the omakase of Edo-style nigiri with sake pairing. Combining rustic, old-world Japanese charm with modern, urban sophistication, PABU presents an unforgettable, dynamic, social dining experience.
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

I met with a business associate/friend for dinner. We ordered the tasting menu so we could try the Chefs diverse sushi concoctions. We were not disappointed. It started with an oyster and went on to an array of eel, tuna, trout, shrimp, scallop, sea urchin, etc. with only one small portion of beef. It was absolutely delicious. The texture, freshness, seasoning and dabs of sauces were top notch. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal and highly recommend it. My only complaint was they no longer served donuts as the dessert offering. Nonetheless the ice cream was good.

Management response:Responded 10 August 2017

Dear Deborah,

I am thrilled to hear that you had a fantastic experience with our sushi tasting menu. The quality of our ingredients is truly top-notch and I am so happy that you appreciated it! Please come back and visit us again soon, we look forward to providing you with another 5-star meal.

Best,
Steve

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

I have tried these large plates that I would recommend: miso cod, sirloin, salmon. Ken roll is a very good sushi app. I like the tuna poke but both people I was with prefer the poke at blue ginger

Reviewed 3 July 2017

We liked Pabu. Great setting and service. The small plates are tasty, particularly the maitake tempura, okonomiyaki, gyoza, chicken thigh, and black cod were great. Nigiri sushi like the o-toro, hamachi were fantastic. The wine list, particularly the sake, is adequate and complementary. Will return.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

After consulting with menu, we opted for Kaiseki course.
Each dish was delicately prepared with excellent ingredients.
I can't remember how many dishes there were but timing of each course was just right and enjoyable.
I liked that sake came in a keep warm lovely carafe.
Since the amount was on the light side, it was just right with added Wagyu which was a very good quality (and expensive).
Only downside was that we were seated beside the bar with TV playing sports which ruined Kaiseki ambience for me. I guess name Pabu means pub in Japanese but our reservation was last minute on Friday night. I would reserve early and request dining room table if I have opportunity to visit again.

1  Thank Miho B
Reviewed 30 June 2017

We arrived a little early and had a few moments wait until we were seated. We ended up with a table with a view of downtown crossing. We ordered drinks from the Bar thanks to recommendations from another employee. Our server was friendly and very funny however after the initial start we hardly saw him. The restaurant has a variety of food runners and we saw them more than our server.

We opted for the Omakase menu which meant we would be dining on only sushi. Our 9 course meal was filled with a variety of delicious and fresh seafood. I was thrilled to see that at the end of our meal the staff made a dairy free dessert for me!

While we enjoyed our meal we agreed that we prefer an Omakase that has selections for both the cold and hot selections (Morimoto Asia and Oishii have been some of our favorites).