“Worth visiting at least once, for sure”

The Institute of Contemporary Art
Book In Advance
More Info
US$26.25*
and up
Boston Night Cruise
Ranked #116 of 418 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum features cutting-edge contemporary painting, sculpture, architecture, film and photography.
Reviewed 8 January 2018

This was our second visit to the ICA, the first being when it first opened in 2006. One of the most appealing parts of a visit is the building itself, designed by Sofidio + Renfro. Both the site (directly on the water and in Boston's Seaport district) and the interior are stunning. We're not fans of extremely contemporary art--especially when it's pretty far out, but given easy access by T, this museum certainly warrants attention. Between the two halves of the exhibit space one passes through an area with huge glass windows that overlook Boston harbor. It's a place to stop and appreciate the scene. On a separate note, the gift shop is especially good. Out of town visitors would do well to include the ICA on their tourist itinerary.

All reviews
in 31 reviews
"cantilevered"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Arrived before opening, and wandered around the front to sit on the stairs by the Harbor. It is in a great spot to take in the harbor view, somewhat protected from the wind and rain. Once the museum opened, went in to check it out. The staff was very friendly and there is an incredible variety of works inside. Also visited the gift shop which had a huge selection of great, unique, and fun things. The travertine coasters were my favorite, I bought one that said 'Today I am going to give my some.'. It was fun to wander through...taking my time because there was so much inside. The building is great, easy to walk to, and nice to see the surrounding area developing into something amazing.

1  Thank o2bcre8ive
Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

I am not a big fan of modern art, but am often dragged to this type of museum. This one is better than most, including the Tate in London. The location and view are also very impressive.

Reviewed 26 December 2017

We went on Christmas Eve and it was very quiet. The staff were friendly. There were not a great deal of exhibits and no cafe. There was a corridor with a great view over the harbour. Although our visit was pleasant, we were a bit underwhelmed with the exhibits. However the shop was excellent and is a great place to do some unusual shopping. At the end, the girl at the cloak room took forever to cloak some people’s articles before attending to us.

1  Thank TheDoor_isopen
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 November 2017

I don’t always understand contemporary art and this is another try. I’m glad I did and I had so much fun! My favorites are Dana Schutz and Mark Dion. Took off one star because there’s a video in the new acquisition section that grossed me out without warning. I can’t unsee it. Other than that, it’s perfect. The staff, the building and the view are great. The audio tour is free via internet. They have free WiFi. It’s completely different from the art museums in Roma, I smile when I think of this place.