“Best soup”

Island Creek Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Creek Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 3,306 Restaurants in Boston
Neighbourhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Cross street: Kenmore
Transit: Kenmore
Reviewed 2 August 2016

We went there for oyster but I guess summer is not the seasons for oyster in Boston.
However the lobster soup and claim chowder is wonderful . Best in my life:)
We are super happy for the seafood pasta there. It's so yummy . Which not only has seafood but also beef inside. The taste is super. Highly recommend. Lobster sub is ok not the best. Oysters are small . Order oyster in other seasons not summer

2  Thank EvaW0000

Reviewed 1 August 2016

Friends and I went here without a reservation on a weeknight, and fortunately the wait time was only about 30 minutes. We ordered a variety of oysters and all tasted like they were just picked from the ocean. My main entree was the bass and it had unique flavors incorporating jalapeño. The service team was very attentive and courteous. Definitely a good go to when in Boston.

1  Thank Jay P
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

My daughter, a friend of ours and I met for oysters and drinks at the Island Creek Oyster Bar at the Hotel Commonwealth, Friday night. It was crowded and despite a mix up with the reservation we were able to be seated at 6:00.
While our friend was trying to finish up some work before the weekend, we decided to order a drink. This was an interview process that our waitress took to like a fish to water. Michelle......i think possibly the best waitress any where and not the least pretentious, went into great detail describing ingredients we asked about. We ordered, I a house special made with rum and fruit something. It was pink and lick the empty glass delicious. My daughter ordered a beer which indeed had floral notes, although the pear note eluded her.
Island Creek is one of Duxbury's oyster companies and oysters there are. The selection that evening offered nine or ten different local varieties mostly South Shore. We tried Island Creek, Row 34, and a Canadian one I believe. I am a finicky connoisseur of oysters wanting them brought as carefully presented as possible. Everyone of these passed the test. No shell. No nicks in the shell. No digging the oyster out making a mess and a tasting disappointment.
The decor in the restaurant is half a wall of glistening oyster shells held in place behind wire. The wallpaper above the shells wasn't up to the same standard and I suspect was supposed to be reminiscent of the sea.
Our friend arrives and Michelle who I have pegged for an Ellen Paige's Juno double, with a slight Asian flare, goes through the wine choices for her. Then the bread arrives with a small round pat of something akin to butter from heaven. I don't want to begin to describe either for I can't do either justice. To make a meal of both would have been fine.
The kitchen sent out a dish of lobster or langastino perhaps with a different bread. Unexpected and well received as both were very nice.
By this time we have decided to stay here for dinner. Two bluefish dinners served with gnocchi and a corn something, and the best burger I have had in years cooked medium......yes folks they cook as well as they shuck oysters, house made fries and pickled fennel and cucumbers.
Great food. Great wait staff, " we love you Michelle" and a great place to sit and talk. Noisy but not so bad you can't hear the person next to you. A bit pricey but worth it.
The Hotel Commonwealth is a wonderful Boston Hotel with some mighty fine food.

1  Thank seasusi
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

We saved this restaurant till the last night of our trip. This was a seafood recommendation from our local concierge. He was spot-on and this place delivered.

Our server was Ashley, she was attentive and patient with our many questions. We are starting to enjoy oysters but still need a little hand holding during the ordering process. She confidently gave us guidance and reassurance. We even had the pleasure of meeting the owner Garrett. You can tell he loves what he does, and it shows in his staff and the quality of his food.

The oysters were the best we had on the trip. The dinner of fried striped bass was totally good, do not miss that. The best dish was the Lobster Roe noodles. It was savory and left everyone at the table wanting more. Loved this place and we will be back.

P.S. Great place for dinner prior to a game at Fenway Park but be sure to make reservations.

1  Thank Anesthesia-man
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

Stumbled upon this place when out for a walk on recent trip to Boston. I don't care for seafood but the tuna tartare was phenomenal as was the salads. Food is good. Lively crowd and excellent service.