All reviews seen better days reception area tile uber cambridge furnishings microwave rates fenway
Reviewed 21 July 2018

The staff is extremely attentive. The location is great if you have a car. Parking is outrageously expensive in Boston and this Hotel has free parking. Although it is an older motel, there has been some remodeling and what is not yet remodeled is kept clean. There was a microwave and a refrigerator in the room. The price is a very good value. I had only planned to be in Boston for one night. I checked out and later found out that I needed to stay an extra night. I was sad when I learned that all rooms were taken. I ended up in a brand new boutique hotel in Cambridge. The room was new, nice and clean but it was less than 1/2 the size as the room at Charles River Inn, had no fridge or microwave and the staff was not nearly as nice, breakfast was not included ..... but it was at Charles River Inn. I travel a lot and have learned that a good value and nice people trump fancy tile and curtains every time!!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Global815212, General Manager at Charles River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Dear
Guest,
Thank you for your honest words. Thank you for choosing Charles River Inn. Looking forward to see you again in future.

Reviewed 20 July 2018

There is a saying.. "You get what you pay for." That is the case here. This is not a fancy hotel by any means, It's old and definitely needs some work. However, if your on a budget, much like we were, then this hotel is great for you. The rooms were pretty good. You got a microwave, a fridge, a coffee maker, cable TV, a couch, and an Air Conditioner that worked very well. The room and bathroom were clean and the water pressure was fine for the shower. The bed was a little hard, but I've had worse, so i slept fine.

As far as breakfast goes, it was very simple. They offered cereal, pastries, yogurt, fruit, and a toaster. Breakfast is served from 6:30 AM - 9:30 AM. If you like to sleep late, don't worry, there is a Starbucks, a 24 Hour IHOP and a Mcdonald's literally 50 feet from the hotel, so that is a huge bonus.

This brings me to the location. Keep in mind, there is NO convenience stores close to the hotel So, if you need food/drinks for your room, buy it when your out and about. Many of the attractions are a bit of a drive from the hotel. Anywhere from 25 - 30 minutes away pending traffic. My advice is to get an Uber. Its the cheapest way to get down to the Wharf, or wherever you need to go. However, once your downtown, its just as easy to buy a pass for the Subway and work your way around that way and when your day is done, Uber back to the hotel. You can buy a 1 day link pass for the Subway for $12.00. There are other options for more days as well. The best thing to do, is stay downtown as long as you can before going back to the hotel as it could get costly.

So, if your on a budget, this hotel is just fine. A little out of the way, but it does the job.

Room Tip: There are highways on both sides, so turn up the AC to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your honest comment. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

For me, it wasn't as bad as a lot of the reviews made it sound. Low expectations probably helped.

Room was okay with relatively new furnishings. Everything worked. Some traffic noise from outside but I put the fan on high and drowned most of it out. Didn't hear anything from the other rooms or the hallway. Felt safe, but I'm glad I didn't bring my family.

Reasonable price by Boston standards, which seems high compared to almost everywhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are a bit quieter
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo

Dear Guest,
Our place is very safe, we get a lot family staying at our hotel. As you had mentioned, it is how you see the things. Well, Thank you for choosing Charles River Inn. We truly appreciate your comment.

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

STAY AWAY IF POSSIBLE! No wonder this place is rated so poorly. I arrived on the 23rd of May and booked a place for the night using QANTAS points. Upon check-in they told me I had no booking. I showed them the QANTAS app showing confirmation of my booking. They abruptly told me that they are not affiliated with QANTAS and whatnot and they told me to pay the room rate which was USD173.05 (very expensive for a poor hotel in a bad location) otherwise they would kick us out. Anyway after having a conversation and them threatening to kick us out of the hotel for not paying I paid the USD173.05 which they then said after 10 or so minutes, when I came back down because the key cards didn't work to get into the room, that the credit card charge had been reversed because they found the booking (lie one). I checked my card statement the next day and noticed the card had been charge and nothing was reversed. When I went to check out (leaving to go back to Australia) they told me that if they get QANTAS to contact them showing the booking and whatnot that they would refund the money (lie two). When I got back home I got in contact with QANTAS and they proceeded to contact the hotel. QANTAS informed me that the hotel enforced their no-show policy and said that I never showed up for the booking, which is not true as I had to pay to stay there that night because they couldn't find the booking or didn't want to find it. QANTAS presented my receipt back to the hotel to prove I was there and they still enforced the no show policy. I just got off the phone with the hotel manager (the same one who QANTAS has been in touch with and he has no recollection of what I was explaining to him. He kept explaining that he has to look at the system and call back tomorrow. It doesn't take 24hrs to find someone's name and I am calling from Australia where I have to stay up late to even get in contact with them. Charles river inn have lied on two occasions about refunding my money for a room I already booked and then was forced to book again. Then when you call to enquire they brush you off. They are a scam of a hotel and I will keep trying to get my money refunded as the manager did say call back. But please I'd advise people away from this hotel especially if you are using some kind of reward points.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philip J

Thank you.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

comfortable hotel in a location that met my needs. Breakfast was basic and hotel is dated but clean. Checked in late and had some issues with the printer but they were able to get me in my room. Ihop next door was awesome!

Stayed: May 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.