“Great design, shame about the staff”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #20 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mougins, France
“Great design, shame about the staff”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in february, very comfortable beds, interesting design touches, it is just a shame that all the staff i came into contact with, cared more about themselves than their guests.

Mr kimpton needs to spend more on training and less on design !

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank mark s
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear marksilver94,

Thank you for staying with us. I am truly sorry (and shocked) to hear how our staff came across in your interactions with them. Certainly all of our training centers around making Nine Zero, and Kimpton Hotels, as warm, genuine, and inviting as possible. I assure you that all who work here carry Bill Kimpton's spirit with them into every guest encounter and those who cannot do not make it through the back door. I would love to speak with you about how we failed to convey this passion. If you would care to discuss this further, please call me directly at 617-772-5848.

In service,

Mark Hayes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northampton
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The Kimpton Hotels have nearly always exceeded my expectations. The Nine Zero has stunning views of the Boston Common and State House (higher floors). As in in-touch member, we were given an upgraded room at little cost. The restaurant on-site is intimate, chic, and has food one would want to eat in a regular/non-hotel restaurant.

The pugs were given beds and treats every time they went in and out.

The rooms are clean with great decor. The bathrooms are nicely appointed.

The location for getting around Boston by foot cannot be beaten. The Beacon Hill area is a simple walk across the Common. Downtown and Copley area shopping are nearby. Movies, restaurants, and theatres are plentiful.

Room Tip: Sign up for upgrade for the views and quieter floors.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear NorthamptonSyd,

Thank you for staying with us back in December and for taking the time to provide us with the great feedback! A comfortable place to lie down and treats at every turn. Is there a quicker way to a pug's heart?

Can't wait to see you (and them) again.

Best,

Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I live in Boston and had a free night at Kimpton that was about to expire. This hotel had more to offer than some of the others in Boston so I booked it. The hotel is conveniently located between many T stops (State, Park, and Downtown Crossing). Boston Common is two blocks away and Samuel Adams' grave is across the street. You also have a lot of great bars and restaurants within walking distance.

The hotel is very clean and modern. The bed was also very comfortable. Now the downside... There aren't a lot of rooms on each floor which makes requesting a room away from the elevator almost impossible. I was able to hear the elevator dinging whenever I was in the room. Kimpton is also a pet friendly hotel. I've never had a problem with this before, but this time there were a few dogs on my floor and was able to hear them barking. Granted this will not always be the case, but I would recommend trying to get a room not on the same floors as people with animals.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank technogal22
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Dear Levi22,

Thank you for choosing us for your Staycation...at the very least it's a great opportunity to have someone clean up behind you.

Sorry to hear about the elevators - getting away from them only seems improbably with 12 rooms per floor, but I promise you it is very possible. And we do love our four-legged guests but of course realize that their enthusiasm to be here can some times dampen yours. So we have specific pet-free floors (half of the hotel in fact) that you can request while making your reservation or at check-in.

Hopefully we see you again soon (or at least your family from out of town)!

Take care,

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here during the week. We arrived early but the woman at the front desk was VERY helpful and had a room ready for us. She also suggested we talk to the concierge about our dinner plans during our stay. He was also VERY helpful.
The room was great. It was a nice size, extremely clean and decorated nicely. We were in a King Premiere room on the 5th floor. Not much of a view but that happens when you are in the city.
All the staff at the hotel were great. The wine hour is a nice touch. My only negative was that I stopped in to the restaurant bar during "Happy Hour", I asked for a glass of wine, the bartender while polite, seemed to be more interested in talking to the waiters then taking care of the patrons.
Overall though this was a great stay.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view of Boston, pay a little more for a King premier View room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BD_FDNY
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear BD_FDNY,

Thank you to you and your wife for staying with us this past week. I'm glad you were able to get in early and start your trip right away. Yes check-in time is 3pm - but if we have your room type available we will do our best to get you in there right away. Sorry to hear your "Happy Hour" was not as happy as we would like it to be. I am confident they will be polite AND attentive next time!

Can't wait to see you again!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here for a Business trip and it is hard to find anything negative to say. Staff is super friendly --people actually smile at you when you walk in the door here. My room was a decent size, and decorated in what I would call modern elegance. Location is in the heart of Boston, a stone's throw away from the Boston Common and the red and green T (local train) lines.

Their restaurant, KO Prime, was top notch as well. Great vibe when I was there --and really tasty food. It also works well for business travelers who want a solo dinner at the bar.

Definitely a recommend if you are coming to boston and like the experience of a good boutique hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear fleurdsoleil,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Boston. Sorry it had to be for business - next time leisure! I love the term modern elegance. May I steal that?

Thanks for the feedback and we hope to see you again!

Safe travels,