“Outstanding Modern Sushi and More”
Review of Oishii Boston

Oishii Boston
Reserve with OpenTable
Oishii Boston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 3,337 Restaurants in Boston
Neighbourhood: South End
Cross street: E Berkeley St
Transit: Silver line E Berkeley Stop
Reviewed 23 July 2017

This is one of Boston's best for Sushi. We were very surprised to find a beautiful modern dining room when we walked inside. Simple stark design but very calm and peaceful. We sat in the room facing the sushi bar. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. They have some craft cocktail specials and extensive sake list. The menu is intimidating due to the number of offerings. We had the Salmon on Fire and The Make roll as well as the special Sake Scallop. While the price is on the high side, the portions were large and the fish was extremely fresh. The salmon melted in your mouth. Each roll has 8 pieces. Excellent experience and will be back soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

We dined early (5:30 on a Friday) because we had to catch a flight. We were seated in the back room and it was relaxing because there weren't many people. Our waitstaff was wonderful. The main waiter discussed various sake types and brought some samples. We ordered 6 different sushis and the lobster risotto. All were exquisitely presented and delicious.

Reviewed 11 June 2017

I was soooo looking forward to eating here, after reading the reviews. We went for lunch and the place was mostly empty when we arrived, but we were nonetheless seated right next to a pair ladies whose conversation was just too loud to ignore, looking wistfully at all the other empty tables stretching down the long room. I ordered sashimi moriawase which looked sad, smelled fishy, and was served at room temperature. I had asked the waiter what was in the moriawase selection and he names all the standard fish and then said "and usually something a little more daring like uni or hokkaido clam". No such thing, it was all stock standard fish except for some super fatty toro. I ordered uni and scallop after I slogged through the unexciting selection, which I never should have finished. After 40 years of eating sashimi everywhere (including the supermarket plastic box sashimi) this is the first sashimi that made me sick, and kept me up and horking most of the night before an international flight. My husband enjoyed his meal and was fine. Still a little shocked given this place's good reputation, so maybe a one off.

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

High end Japanese cuisine, fresh and expensive ingredients. It doesn't have the hip atmosphere of Ruka (where Oishii's chef created the sushi menu too). It's not a NYC stylish space like Red Lantern but more delicious.

1  Thank Justin A
Reviewed 31 March 2017

I'm tired of screaming across a restaurant table, Somehow, Oishi has mastered acoustics - quiet dining, and I love it. This restaurant is Zen simplicity but elegant. The food is above average in price but way above average in taste. IF you order tempura, don't expect it to be weighed down with a heavy batter. The approach to tempura here is unique (and healthy). Order anything with tuna or crab, but order anything because nothing disappoints here, and everything is so beautifully and artistically presented. I loved it and can't wait to return.