“creative, intense and delicious sushi experience”
Review of O Ya

O Ya
Reserve with OpenTable
O Ya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 3,424 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Atlantic Ave and South St
Transit: South Station on Red Line, Commuter Rail and Amtrak/Acela.
Reviewed 14 May 2017

i took two friends/co-workers here for dinner and wow what an experience. We've never had sushi prepared this ingenious and delicious way. The sake was fantastic and our waitress was so much fun, helpful, professional and knowledgable. Make sure you book well in advance since the place is relatively small, and don't blink our you'll miss the cool old wooden side door entrance. Also if they are committed for the evening, then ask to be out on the wait list, that's how we got in...expensive but well worth it!

2  Thank phillyphlyer

Reviewed 29 April 2017

We went there for our first anniversary and although it was a nice experience, we will definitely not go back. We arrived a bit early and we were "offered" to have a drink waiting for the table (at the bar) to free up. We had each a sparkling sake by the glass that was good. To make it clear, we ended up paying for it. It was never suggested it would be free, but it would have been a nice move.

We ended up seating at what I think are the best seats in the house: at the bar, in the center, watching the chefs do their work.

We each got the omakase, which is probably their most popular choice seeing the amount of the same sushi that we were seeing being prepared. This is a $185 17-course meal. We also each got the beverage pairing to go with for $80 each.
The food was very good. The sushi were fairly inspired (excellent fish, fun things like chicken skin, potato chip, foie gras with balsamic chocolate), the cooked items a bit less so but very good as well (the wagyu beef was amazing). The quality of the ingredients was excellent across the board. We were not very convinced with the pairings: they did not match very well with the food in our opinion.
The service was relaxed (perhaps a bit too much), but professional and knowledgeable.

What really did not work for us was:
- The place is fairly big, maybe 40 seats, so that the chefs just make food and don't have time to engage, talk about their food, or focus on the presentation.
- It is a bit weird to have the chefs prepare the food in front of you, put the sushi on top of their counter but the waiter has to pick it up and then bring it up to you. That just feels a bit impersonal and is detrimental to the experience.
- Too much to drink. I would advise to take only one pairing for 2, if they allow, or just choose from their extensive and expensive wine / sake menu. With 5 (?) drinks spread through the meal, you won't really enjoy the food after a while, even drinking half the glasses like we did.
- The Omakase picks mostly the cheapest items from the menu (except for the wagyu which is the most expensive, to be fair), so we don't even feel like we got a good deal out of it. For that price we did not get any uni or roe / caviar for example. Maybe we could have asked but we did not.
- Simply too expensive. I just don't feel I got the value expected from a $700+ bill for two. I had much better experiences for the same type of cuisine, for much less.

1  Thank Remi M
Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

This place is Uber cool, the understated entrance which isn't easy to find, starts the understated nature of this place. The food is exquisite and they catered for my sons egg allergy effortlessly. The service was first class, the saki menu comprehensive and they had no issue catering for my younger sons slightly simpler sushi taste.

Yes it's expensive, but you get what you pay for. This Restaurent is right up there with the very very best, worth a visit and one I can't recommend highly enough.

Reviewed 3 April 2017

My second experience at O Ya, definitely the pinnacle of my eating experiences in this visit to Boston. Made it to the restaurant even with a wintry mix was pouring down (I figured that Boston deals with these storms better than us from the Pacific NW?). Went for the Grand Omakase tasting meun - every item had clear, definite flavors, well executed a surprisingly paired well with the half-bottle of Brunello I ordered. My server Michael was on-point and had good knowledge of everything that was served, and was quite engaging. If there's one thing, this place is very consistent and rightfully deserves its accolades. Looking forward to a 3rd time!

Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

We came to this resturant for a family birthday. We ordered the tasting menu and almost everything on there was amazing. The sauces, herbs and oils they used were amazing and was like an adventure of the taste buds. The tuna was amazing! One thing that wasn't as good was the wagyu steak was a little too marbleized.