“Expect lots and lots of people”
Review of San Diego Zoo

San Diego Zoo
Book In Advance
Ranked #4 of 465 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Founded in 1916, the Zoo has been an icon in San Diego for nearly 100 years—and an absolute must-see in Southern California. Spend the day monkeying around in our tropical oasis as you visit beautiful habitats that are home to gorillas, eagles, tigers, sun bears, Asian leopards, rare reptiles, a palette of colorful birds, and more. Visit the Australian Outback to delight in our colony of 24 koalas, and travel along Panda Trek to experience giant pandas and other animals that share their bamboo forest habitat. Go back in time through Elephant Odyssey to discover what animals used to roam Southern California and see what the elephants are up to. Enjoy a guided tour on a double-decker bus or the scenic view from the Skyfari aerial tram, and dine in the peaceful surroundings of Albert's Restaurant. Discover the wonders of wildlife with animal encounters, interactive experiences, and keeper chats. A leader in animal care and conservation, the San Diego Zoo is at the heart of the San Diego experience.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Hello, My wife and I have visited a number of zoos from Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago and even over seas. This zoo is very crowded, perhaps a bit our fault as it was spring break. The bus and Sky ferry are both included with your ticket but the lines were every long. This zoo is not a large as we thought and we seen the entire zoo in about three and a half hours although we decided not to wait in the extremely long line for a glimpse of the pandas. In the end the zoo is OK I did not see anything special compared to a number of the other zoos we have been to. Will likely not go back.

2  Thank Scott L
Write a ReviewReviews (24,447)
All reviews
in 273 reviews
"gondola"
in 267 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Very walkable zoo. Saw a baby kangaroo, baby baboon, baby gorilla. Saw feedings of panther and cheetahs and elephant bath. Very unique animals in Africa Rocks. Would go back in a heartbeat!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Hands down the best zoo that I have ever visited! Visited with 3 kids between 9 and 10 and one teenager. All were happy. Animals and their habitats were amazing. Buy your tickets online ahead of your visit to avoid lines. We didn’t do any of the “extra” experiences and I do not feel like we missed out at all.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

This was one of the highlights of my trip to San Diego and on my bucket list to see whilst I was there. The zoo was well designed and well laid out. There was loads of animals to see. It was well accessible. Enjoyed the aviaries probably the most, if I had to pick something out in which I liked the best. Overall, I enjoyed the everything, and it is worthwhile a visit but make sure to be able to cover everything to allow about 6 hours. Best to take your own drinks in as they were not that cheap. Worthwhile and a most enjoyable visit.