Marie Hitchcock Puppet Theater
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
very entertaining show

went with a 5 year old who was entranced by the Mayan folk tale involving a rabbit and a cayote... read more

Reviewed 2 April 2017
gill v
London, United Kingdom
Fun for a kid or to feel like a kid

Reviewed 5 January 2017

from US$79.00
from US$65.00
from US$169.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 January 2017

It's the perfect place to take the kids when you need something for short attention spans. It's something different and a place to unplug.

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

We found out about the theater on one of the park info kiosks and were just in time for a show. It's $5 per person. The show was Princess and the Pea, done with Marionettes and even though the puppeteer was onstage in semi darkness my daughter was riveted! It was perfect for a 3.5 yo. She laughed at the funny parts and gasped at the dramatic parts. It obviously hit its target audience! The length of the play (roughly half.an hour) was just right!

A perfect afternoon diversion for little ones while touring the massive park.

Date of experience: December 2016
1  Thank ohdonnaoh
Reviewed 23 November 2016

Took our grand daughters to the pre Halloween week production based on sister witches. Parking for the second show of the day was a breeze, i.e. close by, which we appreciated with a stroller and an elderly grand dad. The staff was welcoming. The puppeteer was a bit too lengthy in her introductory remarks, but the show was charming and held our toddler's interest. Story and costumes were clever and easy to follow for little ones. We'd love to return.

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

My daughter and I had her 4 (ages 6-8) and decided to go to Balboa park for the day on Sunday. We went to the puppet show at 11 AM. For $5 each ($4 for seniors), we had a fun-filled time. It was evident that the performers loved entertaining children. There is no assigned seating, but there were plenty of good seats. Booster seats are available for smaller children. We then had a picnic on the lawn and then toured the International Houses which are located directly across the street from the theater.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed 27 April 2015

Take your children, grandchildren, neighbors kids, co workers kids, keep this art form alive. We live in an instant world of iPads, Internet, movies. Keep theatre, drama, poetry alive.
My kids loved this, I loved it. My husband fell asleep snoring (front row too, how embarrassing)
It was quaint and nostalgic for me. Hubby asked me later if he missed anything.

Date of experience: October 2014