“Superb location, Ok for a reasonable rate”
Review of Pacifica Hotel

Pacifica Hotel
Pacifica Hotel
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This hostel (really, that is what it is) is located in the heart of San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter - you couldn't ask for a better location. There are 3 pubs across the street and 1 beside the hostel, not to mention many, many restaurants within 3 blocks. The Convention Center trolley station is about a 5 minute walk from this hostel. It's easy to get to, and convenient for almost anything you could want (transit is awesome in San Diego for getting you to the beach, Qualcomm, or shopping).

However, this 'hotel' is really old (which I do love), but this means you can hear EVERYTHING - the hotel was pretty empty when we were staying there but I think they stuck the only other patron in the room directly above ours, so we could hear every time he flushed the toilet, sneezed, and took a shower. Walls are thin, rooms are small, and there is no door on the bathroom (just a curtain). But, for the price, it's clean, has hot water when ever you need it, and the owners seem helpful and friendly. Take it with a grain of salt - this isn't the nicest hotel in San Diego but if you're on a budget, it's alright and serves the purpose.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor as you can hear everything anyone does above you if you're second floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Would give the hotel 3 and a half rating if i could. Hotel is in a great location close by to public transport and many places to eat at and socialize. Room was pretty small and the bed was really small making it hard to sleep sometimes which is probably my only major complaint and no elevators so you will have to carry your lougage up the stairs to the entrance.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to stay for the basics. I had the single room with bath - it was clean, inexpensive for the area, and in a great location (which is right in the middle of the historic Gaslamp District). There are no "extras" but it was well worth it (for example no mini fridge or microwave), but it was that it was quiet and there are tons of restaurants and shops right outside. It worked well for me attending a conference at the San Diego convention center.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I knew when I made the reservations that I shouldn't expect a mint on my pillow, but I wasn't expecting to find bed bugs on my pillow either. I woke up with bed bug bites all over my face and body; two weeks later, I'm still waiting for the scabs to go away. I had to throw out my suitcase and backpack and launder all my clothes repeatedly, and I still live in terror that somewhere in my apartment, a newly established colony of bed bugs is just waiting for the right moment to strike. Don't be fooled by the cheap price; this place wouldn't be worth it if they paid you to stay there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank AYone
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My wife and I traveled to San Diego twice last year and stayed at the Pacifica both times. We loved it. It's close to the beach, walking distance to La Jolla shopping & restaurants, but most of all because the staff was fantastic. Very kind, accommodating and not 'fake' friendly, but 'real' friendly.

The hotel bar has live piano player and there was a lot of dancing (middle-aged) 70's & 80's music.

We will stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family