“Taste of Italy in Little Italy”

Bencotto Italian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Bencotto Italian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 5,272 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: India Street/Kettner Blvd.
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I was eating alone but as this is a small place I was very comfortable, it has an air of modern Italy, not just a pastiche, and my food was really good, cannot remember the name of the dish I had but it was spicy meatballs, which was spicy and delicious. When the check came I was very pleased too.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Worst meal we have had in San Diego. The Tortelli di zucca sat like flavorless pumpkin pie-filled lead balls in the stomach. The salmon ravioli was fishy. The wine was sent back as it had started to turn (a definite overbearing acid bite of having been opened the day before and corked to save what was left then poured for those who think ripple is good wine). The waitress told me I just didn't like that 'style' of wine. My Italian wine-making grandfather rolled in his grave at that comment. The best part of the evening was dessert across the street at Cafe Zucchero. Cafeteria atmosphere with cafeteria quality food. Never again.

1  Thank Lola R
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I work in the hospitality industry as a concierge and have many opportunities to dine at area restaurants. Bencotto in Little Italy is the crème de la crème!

I actually decided to give it a try based on raves from several guests who returned excited about their recent dining experiences there.

OMG , Bencotto exceeded my expectation! The proscioutto paired with gnocco fritto (lightly fired puffed bread dough) are divine. Really can’t stop thinking about the savory taste & how these dishes melted in my mouth.

Pasta is made daily on the premises and the freshest I have had in all of San Diego. Sauces and ingredients were wonderfully tasty and fresh. The meal was satisfying and filling without being heavy.

The setting is contemporary – yet warmed by the service. Pricing is quite moderate given the quality and preparation. It is evident, the owners take great pride in their product and we are the beneficiaries. This is a restaurant you do not want to miss!

Reviewed 18 November 2011

There are alot of great restaurants in Little Italy but I really really really like this little place.

I live nearby and tend to eat here for lunch often (was just in this past weekend)
It's priced well, has a clean, cozy and modern decor and the menu has a nice selection of items that are a little lighter than other italian places around.

My favorite dishes are:

Both of the soups - zuchinni and pasta fagioli
Caprese salad
Insalata Bencotto
Melanzane alla parmigiana

This is one of those local places where you look around and everyone is drinking, smiling and enjoying some great food. Staff is consistently friendly and welcoming. Definitely Recommended.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

My hubby is Italian and we are both used to eating great Italian meals when we go home to his place. Most of the time we are sorely disappointed by the food that passes as Italian in the states. This place is the real deal. For what you pay at the surrounding restaurants you get MUCH BETTER quality food. Try this place. You won't be disappointed. Most of the surrounding places get away with the fact that they happen to be in Italy and that tourist don't know better. Spend your money here and be pleasantly surprised!

My only qualm is the tables near the bar, too many tables and I kept having the waiters behind a little to close to my face/plate!