“W-level service, but lacked in other areas”

Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel
Ranked #112 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Dallas, Texas
“W-level service, but lacked in other areas”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We booked our hotel stay at the W because we wanted to experience the "beach" bar they advertised, otherwise we would have stayed elsewhere. We got there and the room was super small and the interior of the room looked very "Ikea-ish"....cheap looking furniture, the smallest/worst hairdryer, and the bathroom had very little privacy in relation to the rest of the room. We were also dissapointed to hear that the "beach" bar area was closed for renovations...our main reason for choosing that hotel! We have stayed at other W Hotels and expected a lot more in terms of look, decor and overall ambience. HOWEVER, the service at the hotel was excellent!! The valet guys are so nice and fast and friendly, along with the welcome desk and bartenders/waiters downstairs. The concierge desk (and everyone actually) had great reccomedations for local restaurants and bars and they were spot on every time. They also provide an Acura car serive that will take you wherever you want to go within 5 miles for free, it was so convenient and a great amenity to provide the guests. The reason for the 4 out of 5 stars is because of the wonderful service...we would even consider staing there again....but in a bigger room and when the beach bar is open.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cslovick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed at the W San Diego for three nights in February 2012. From the minute I pulled up to the valet, until I left, the staff and service was nothing but outstanding. I cannot complement them enough. Before arriving I called to ask a couple of questions, and upon arrival there was a personal note from the person I had spoken with along with a lovely fruit tray - outstanding! I needed a late check out, no problem. I needed my luggage in my car a little early, no problem. Room service was great and delivered with a smile and offer of additional help if needed.

The rooms themselves were very well appointed. The design was modern and sophisticated, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was very nice.

The location is very nice for accessing downtown and the waterfront of San Diego. Many different restaurant options were within walking distance, and I was able to get great recommendations and help from the team working there.

The only small tweaks I would recommend to make the W a perfect location are:
1. The carpet and baseboards of the room did show a little wear, perhaps a coat of paint and carpet would take the hotel over the top.
2. The coffee provided with room service was not very good. The food was great, but the coffee tasted like it had been boiled and burned.

Overall, I highly recommend the W if you need to stay in downtown San Diego.

Room Tip: I had a corner room on the 7th floor, quiet enough to sleep but do expect some city noises, this is...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Michele L
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 March 2012

If I only I had stayed at this hotel more than one night. I loved it! The staff were very friendly – especially Jason. The room was immaculate, and, as usual for W hotels, the bathroom was a nice little slice of heaven. The decor was very contemporary, which I love. For a W hotel, the room was big. My room did not automatically come with a coffee machine, but once I asked for one, it was delivered to me in minutes. And, they also provided me with real cream. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I decided to “escape” to San Diego and splurge on a 4 Star hotel for two days and one night. I chose The W because of the branding and it looked like a great hotel with the pictures and reviews. From the moment I pulled up to the valet, the customer service was First Class. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. The HR coordinator and hotel manager should be proud of the staff. I was impressed with the lobby, very Chic. The front desk was able to get me into my room about 3 hours early and gave me a great room (for my price range). That is where they fall short. When it was originally done, I could tell the room was very fresh. However, after a couple of years, it has taken its toll. The carpet had stains, the baseboards were coming away from the wall, the walls were scuffed and needed repainting, the blinds had torn cords and the built-in furniture and bed were basically white painted plywood that needed a fresh coat of paint.

The location is a little off the beaten path, but if you don’t have a car, they have a free service (nice touch). Also, if you are just up in your room for an hour, the valet will just leave your car out front so it’s extremely convenient to get to when you go in and out.

So, the only reason the W does not get a 5 star rating is for the price that I paid, I just expected the room to be almost perfect. I came to hotel to basically stay in the room and enjoy my time at the hotel, but found that I did go out more than I planned since I was a little disappointed. The nice thing is that my only critique is something that can be easily fixed with just some of the money that is brought in by the nightly charges. Oh, and make sure you bring your own snacks unless you want to pay $7 for Gummy Bears…Just sayin’.

I was thinking about bringing my partner back for a weekend stay, but might wait till they freshen up…

Room Tip: Spend the money for a bay view or you look out into not very attractive buildings.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank DavideKelley
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Overall I had a good experience and would consider staying here again. The staff were professional, helpful, and had a fun attitude. My room was clean and comfortable (Spectacular?). The room next door had a dog, which I could hear from the hallway, but there was no hint of noise once in my room. Loved the window seat. Overall I was well taken care of the entire time.

A couple of things to note: The pool is remarkably diminutive. It was a little inconvenient meeting friends downstairs since the elevators require a key to operate above the first few floors, but I appreciate the security. Also the location downtown is relatively deserted, which is the only reason for fewer than five stars. Much is within walking distance, though, and I still recommend giving this hotel a try if you are downtown.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business