“Supper”
Review of Lou & Mickey's

Lou & Mickey's
Reserve with OpenTable
Lou & Mickey's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #314 of 5,554 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: L Street
Transit: Gaslamp Stop (Trolley)
Description: Gaslamp's "Favorite Steakhouse" is directly across the street from the San Diego Convention Center and two blocks from Petco Park. Join us for famous steaks, choice seafood, and exotic drinks.
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

Busy place. Service slow. Steak was done way I wanted. However meal was WAY overpriced. Certainly not worth what we paid

Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed 20 January 2018

The dining room at Lou and Mickey's is well worth visiting. The tenderloin was perfectly cooked and the garlic mashed potatoes were phenominal ! We will be back this April to enjoy one of the best restaurants in San Diego.

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

We were celebrating Christmas early with our son before taking him to the airport.
The restaurant is nice inside and appears to be clean. Nice bar area as well. We were looking for a nice steakhouse close to the airport and wanted to try some where new to us.

Our waiter was horrible! We attempted to order drinks and the waiter walked away and yelled to us that he could still hear us as he left to do something else near the bar in the middle of my husband ordering. Since our son had to catch a flight, we were at the restaurant at 4pm. No one else was in the dinning room. We were very perplexed why the waiter began taking our order and left, yelling he could still take our drink order. Honestly, that was weird.

Our drinks arrived in a timely manner. We made our Christmas toast, however I noticed something weird in the olive in my martini. At first I thought it might be part of the plastic pick that held the olive but upon further investigation... it was not only one hair but two wrapped around the pick and screwed right into the olives!! Completely disgusting! I was hoping it was someone’s facial hair and not something else!! Honestly, it was SO gross we should have just left then but I did not want to spoil the last night with our son. We told the waiter about the issue. He just looked at it and looked back at us like WE did something! No apology or anything. I asked for a replacement martini....no olives this time!

We ordered oysters on the half shell and coconut shrimp for appetizers. The oysters were excellent! Coconut shrimp was too greasy.

We ordered onion soup and salad which were good! Onion soup was VERY good!

My husband and I each ordered steaks. They were cooked almost as we requested (medium rare is what we ordered). They were definitely medium but were flavorful so we did not want to complain. The plates the steaks are served on are horrible. There is a silver dish the steak sits in and then a wood dish under the silver dish. Trying to cut the steak is challenging because the silver dish moves all around and comes out of the wood dish while the juices splash out.

My son ordered the pasta dish with shrimp, tomatoes and basil. We specifically asked the waiter if there was a marinara sauce or only diced tomatoes and basil with the shrimp. The waiter replied there was ‘ a lot of sauce’ on the pasta. What my son received was pasta with diced tomatoes and basil.... no sauce what so ever, which was exactly what he did not want. Unfortunately the waiter had no clue and completely lied about the dish having any sauce. There was also Parmesan cheese in the dish in clumps, which were completely inedible as they were HARD chunks.

We ordered sides for us to share, scalloped potatoes, asparagus and mushrooms. Our only request was that the asparagus be well done. It was completely undercooked!! Honestly, it was barely cooked! We could not eat it. The scalloped potatoes were very odd in taste and smell. The only way we could describe them is how a bandaid smells. Very unappetizing!! Instead of receiving mushrooms our waiter delivered sautéed spinach. My husband is allergic to spinach! We definitely did not order spinach! We let the waiter know of his error however he insisted we ordered spinach, not mushrooms! No apologies were given for his error. Luckily the spinach was removed promptly. By the time we finished our meals the mushrooms arrived! Mushrooms were good but we ended up taking them home to our dogs along with the left over steak. No, we did not take the pasta, undercooked asparagus or the bandaid scalloped potatoes home to our dogs. If we can’t eat it we don’t subject our dogs to gross food.

The manager walked by our table a few times without saying a word. We did see our waiter talking with him throughout our service however. Our experience was so horrible that my husband asked the waiter to speak with the manager. The manager claimed he was aware of everything that went wrong from the pube-like hairs in my martini, to the pasta fiasco and the mushroom/spinach “mix up”. The manager offered a gift card to come back but we let him know we were never coming back, ever. He was very nice and very apologetic for the horrible experience we had. The disgusting martini and pasta dish were removed from our bill. Regardless, we still ended up paying close to $300 for appetizers, dinner and cocktails for three people. What made our experience worse was that our waiter gave zero ***** about anything.

We will NEVER dine here again!

3  Thank JAE2512
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

I am a huge fan of Happy Hours. The last few trips to San Diego I have noticed this restaurant. The restaurant is conveniently located directly across the street from the San Diego Convention Center...so I figured it had to be pricey. One look at the digital wall menu confirmed that this restaurant is a full service steak house.

The restaurant was booming inside (on this Friday). I inquired about happy hour, and was informed it was available in the bar area (not the outside tables). The bar was rocking and rolling. Seems like several groups were having fun. Since this was the 5th of January, I would have to say that the patrons were mostly locals.

The happy hour drinks consisted of a nice selection of wines, beers, and serveral mixed drinks. The happy hour food was even more diverse.

We chose to squeeze into a set of seats at the bar. With our group beer and wine were chosen. Food items included mini caesar salad, fish and chips, calimari, and shrimp cocktail. Everything was priced well, and the food was quite excellent.
My $8 fish & chips was enough to share!

If you have an opportunity to visit SD, try this place for Happy Hour. I do not think you’ll be disappointed. Pictured you will see the items I ordered. Bon Appetit!

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Great location for people viewing with an open and airy bar and excellent drink. My Manhattan was just perfect. A must visit while in the Gaslamp area.

Been to Lou & Mickey's? Share your experiences!