“Not so much "Home" but more of the 'Woods"”

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station
Ranked #10 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 25 June 2015

This hotel was very clean, great front desk attendants but the breakfast was not something I'd ever consider this property for nor the pull out bed for our suite. I would have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor. There was a great plaza that shared the hotels parking lot with other food accommodations and a Starbucks! Which is where I had my breakfast. They also did not have a bellman or a door to their business lounge, but they were very accommodating to fit my needs to make a business call.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
1  Thank Shannon F
Rick B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2015

Thanks for staying with us Shannon, and for the feedback.

Very sorry you didn't find breakfast suitable. We serve hot scrambled eggs with a rotating meat, freshly cut fruit, make your own waffle with all the trimmings, juices and breads, etc. Everything you could want or expect for a breakfast...so I don't know exactly what you had issues about, but very sorry it wasn't for you.

All Hilton Homewood's do not have bellmen...that's how we can keep our room rates lower than full service hotels. BUT, we will assist you whenever asked. We have self-service bell carts for you though.

As far as the sofa bed...I know, there isn't any great sofa beds out there...BUT, we have memory foams available upon request that make a HUGE difference. Please ask for one next time!

Thanks for the nice words about our folks and cleanliness though. We have a great team here.

We hope you return soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2015

We stayed for 2 nights when we first arrived in San Diego and we loved the hotel and location so much that we also booked two nights for the end of our vacation. (We spent the middle of our vacation in Anaheim at the Disney parks)
The rooms were perfect for our family. We traveled with two of our college age children (boy and girl) and the sofa set in the room was perfect because it was a pull-out bed that one kid slept on and then had a recliner that served as a bed for the other so they did not have to slept in the same bed! The pictures on the web-site were true portrayals of the room.
The grounds were lovely and we spent our evenings down by the water enjoying the scenery. Make sure you watch for the cute ground squirrels that eat the flowering plants down by the water!
Also the breakfast was top-notch! A huge bounty of food to select from. Several restaurants were located just across the parking lot from the hotel. There was a Mexican restaurant, a Subway and an nice sports bar called Oggi that we went to(great Calzone and pizza!)
The location from downtown was perfect too. it cost us $8-$10 for an Uber ride into the various unique districts of San Diego ( Gaslamp, Little Italy, Old Town) Without a doubt I would stay here again and recommend this gem to anyone visiting SD.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Lklde6
Rick B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2015

Did you hear that out there?!!! They liked us so much that they rearranged their vacation to add two more nights to stay here again! Whoa!

Thanks so much for the nice review and for the business...twice! Glad you felt well-taken care of and that you enjoyed Liberty Station. There is so much to do around here, it's ridiculous. And you can walk to it from the hotel. I'm going to Solare' restaurant tonight in Liberty Station as they are having a huge party to celebrate several awards they have recently won...GREAT Italian food. There is always something to do around here...and the views of downtown and the Coronado bridge are to die for...especially from our 2 Terraces on the 3rd floors.

We want to see you back here in 2.5 months! Thanks so much!

Reviewed 21 June 2015

I stayed at Homewood Liberty Station for 5 nights during a recent business trip in June 2015. Just prior to that, I stayed at the Homewood Denver Downtown for 3 nights. The best thing about Homewood Liberty Station is the location. There are several fast food and informal dining options within the same parking lot area. About 1/4 mile away, there is a quaint Liberty Station Marketplace with Trader Joes and Vons for grocery and deli, as well as numerous casual dining options. Homewood is next to Marriott and both are along the San Diego River. Quite nice and safe area to walk along, which connects to a large park. The hotel is only about 3 miles from Sea World. It is maybe only 5 miles away from the airport and although the planes pass nearby, you can barely hear the planes while outside and not at all while inside the rooms with the windows closed. Homewood is also only about 5 minutes from the Sports Arena Blvd area with the various big-box stores and many other eateries. It is also only about 30 minutes from the newer Las Americas outlet near the border.

I found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful.

Homewood Liberty Station has two separate buildings. I stayed in the south building, having a bayview, corner suite on the 4th floor. The suite was clean and I checked for bedbugs and found none. The suite, however, was small and I found it irritating that the door to the shower and toilet swung outward into the lavatory sink area. My particular room did not have a balcony (other rooms have). The furniture was a bit dated but nothing to complain about, again, the suite was very clean. I didn't really use the kitchen but it was fairly large and connected to the main living room area that had its own sofa and tv.

Each of the two Homewood buildings had their own small fitness room. My building's fitness room has a treadmill, stair climber type machine, dumbbells up to 50 lbs, a bench, and a few other accessories. The other building's fitness center had the same machines, but instead of the bench and heavier dumbbells, it had dumbells up to I think 15 lbs and the pulley type of weight machine that can adjust to do different standing exercises. Both fitness centers had water fountains. There was no bottle water refill station in the entire hotel that I could find.

Homewood offers free breakfast everyday and an evening reception on M-Th. The breakfast was average to above average, eggs, fruit, yogurt, some sort of meat, waffles, cereal, etc. Nothing impressive, but at least it can be considered an actual and hearty breakfast that most other hotels in the price range (Sheraton, Hilton, etc.) don't offer to all guest. It was basically the same thing every day, however. The evening reception has soup, salad, fruit, and a hearty appetizer. One evening there were hot dogs and another evening there were nachos with pork. I appreciated that Homewood even offered this and while not an actual dinner, it filled me up enough that I didn't feel a need to go out. Coming from Homewood Denver Downtown just prior, I was a bit spoiled as that hotel served really, really good variety of food.

Aside from this, Homewood had a small business center with two computers that have internet and MS Office that used to print out my boarding passes. They also have an outdoor pool and basketball (half) court. Wi-fi was above average for a hotel.

Overall, I think this was a fairly good value in the perfect location and would stay there again if in the San Diego area. I searched extensively for hotels to stay while attending a business conference at the Mission Bay Hilton Resort (which I heard and eventually saw was very isolated and run-down) and am glad I stayed at Homewood Liberty Station.

Room Tip: Join Hilton HHonors for free wifi and to check in a day in advance and pick your room online
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank da_kaz

That's it...that's all you have to say?! lol! Wow, first and foremost, thanks for the biz! And a very big thank you for saying that you would return. You sound like you know what you want and like, and we are very happy to hear that we were a pleasant surprise for you.

Yes, our location is centrally located...PLUS we are in Liberty Station, a very cool urban village saturated with great food eateries and things to do. Running trails, parks, basketball courts....even the Trolley tour picks up in front of our hotel. Add the FREE PARKING, and you are in heaven here!

I just bought a bottle re-filler drinking fountain! That's so funny.

Thanks for the great review though, and we will see you again!

Reviewed 18 June 2015

I thought it was odd this hotel did not have an in-room safe. Recently renovated, however, just like a Homewood Suites, they kept part of the old furniture. Walking distance to Trader Joe's and Vons. Bedroom was very small, there was barely any space around the bed. As others have said, beautiful landscaping.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the pool if you want peace and quiet. Best view is from north side of the north b...
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank m124124
Rick B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2015

Thanks for the nice review, and for staying with us.

Sorry about the in-room safes not being there for you...we do have complimentary safes available at the front desk, but I do agree that in=room safes would be good....I'll work on it!

Reviewed 16 June 2015

We lived in San Diego for 25 years and come back often to visit. We usually like to stay downtown or by the beach. This time we decided to try this up and coming area set in the old NTC San Diego. We were not disappointed. The rooms were great!! There were restaurants within walking distance along the bay. There is a pool and Basketball courts for the kids as well as plenty of grassy area to run around and toss a ball. And all major San Diego attractions are a short car ride away.We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
Rick B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport - Liberty Station, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2015

A lovely name....Mary! That's my wife's name of 35 years. A high school thingy...

Anyway, THANKS for the nice review. Liberty Station is the, "happening place on the Point"! Most folks that stay here, return. It has everything you could want....PLUS FREE and PLENTIFUL PARKING! I love coming to work!

Thanks again Mary, and come back in 6 weeks please!