“Extraordinary Service and Perfection in Every Dish! Best Restaurant in San Diego!”
Review of Addison Restaurant

Addison Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Addison Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 5,585 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$98 - US$150
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Carmel Country Road
Reviewed 17 August 2018

Arriving on this warm summer evening to celebrate a birthday, we were quickly seated in the comfortable bar and served cocktails. Progressing onto dinner, we were seated in an a very large and comfortable table. We took advantage of the Champagne Cart and enjoyed a Grand Cru rose.

Everything about the tasting meal was excellent. Highlights included the oyster with caviar; the sake cured kampachi; the duck and poularde and truly every dish was a work of art. For me only the fruit soup was lacking and thin but my companion enjoyed the soup immensely. Service was also world class. The wine list is enormous with wines for every taste and budget. We enjoyed an excellent Gruner Veltliner and an older White Burgundy. The wine staff are also very knowledgeable.

Be prepared to be pampered when coming to Addision. Yes, the meal is very pricey but is well worth the splurge for world class dining. Without a doubt this is the best restaurant in the San Diego area. I highly recommend and would return.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank pensando42

Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

From the moment we entered the Addison we knew that we were in for a special evening. The bar area was beautiful and overlooked a waterfall with gardens. It was right on the golf course and the outdoor seating was so comfortable and elegant. We ordered lemon drop martinis and sat outside enjoying the cool breeze on the deck. The lovely maitre’ d told us that we could enjoy our drinks as long as we liked as our table was ready whenever we were. When we finished our drinks we were shown to our table in a spectacular dining room with perfectly spaced tables. The chairs were instantly pulled our for us by three attentive waitstaff. We opted not to order the chefs tasting menu ($250.00) not necessarily because of the price, although it is hefty, but because we have been let down by other restaurants where the chefs have been left to make the choices for the evening. We all had the foie gras topped with passion fruit and served with chocolate brioche. It was truly unbelievable. The foie gras was creamy like a mousse and the passion fruit was tart and served with the chocolate bread. It will go down in my book as one of the most memorable appetizers ever created. We moved on to the next course which wasn’t quite as good, but was beautifully presented. I had the green curry mussels and while the mussels were tender and tasty it tasted more like a broccoli/cauliflower purée than a green curry purée. The coconut foam that was supposed to be over the dish was so mild it didn’t add much flavor. My daughter had the chicken en brioche and it seemed like an old school chicken pate en brioche rather than a modern deconstructed dish. No one at the table loved this dish but two things made up for the lack of flavor in the chicken. One was the bowl of creamy corn served with it and the other was a small piece of pork belly and these made the plate worth ordering! For entrees, I had the veal which was creative and tasted like no other veal dish i have ever had. It was presented like two crab cakes and the veal was encrusted and so tender you didn’t even need a knife to cut it. My daughter had the roasted duck and it was served again with foie gras and a tangy marmalade that was excellent. It came with some kind of an endive vegetable in a bowl (we think) but we didn’t really care for that. My husband had a miso style carmelized sablefish and it was wonderfully cooked and was definitely a healthier choice than the rest of our dishes. For dessert, we ordered a Mille Fuille which we all thought was the weakest part of the meal. In fact, we all remarked that all of the baked items/dessert items were no where near up to par with the chef’s creations. All in all, it was about $110 a person without wine, cocktails and service and coming from New York I thought it was expensive but not completely outrageous. The service was outstanding (almost over the top) but really unbelievable!!! And the food in general was creative and perfectly prepared. There were some dishes that we didn’t like as much as other dishes but really the only thing we found wrong with the place was the breads and desserts (just a note, in case the chef has the opportunity to read this, the chocolate brioche was amazing but the rest of the baked breads/dessert/cookies were completely dry and over cooked).
I would go again, but only for a truly special occasion. This is a place you go to celebrate a great event and hopefully by then they will have perfected it!!! In reading my own review, it sounds like I was a bit negative in my review but i really did enjoy it very much i just think my expectation gets raised when i pay so much for a dinner. Great choice for a special night!!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 10 July 2018

Just went there for a birthday dinner and was very impressed. Highly recommend the special four courses menu. The atmosphere of restaurant is excellent and the service is amazing. A must go restaurant if you would like to experience a pleasant French gourmet in San Diego.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 9 July 2018

We came here for my wife's birthday. It was dish after dish of flavorless food. We couldn't wait for the 4 course meal to end. We found the service to be a bit overwhelming as well. If you enjoy 3 people pouring 3 glasses of water in synchronized fashion, you can go here, but in terms of taste, look elsewhere. This is just an over-hyped pretentious place, which gives some people bragging rights about having been there due to the price tag. It's far from being a gourmet experience that you would expect from a restaurant with this price tag. I am so glad we did not go for the 10 course chef's menu.

Date of visit: April 2018
4  Thank sameerv1982
Reviewed 24 May 2018

As soon as you park by the entrance you know you are in for a treat. The service is impeccable. The food and presentation are innovating and excellent. There are few restarants like this. Yes it is pricey but well worth it. Great job!

Date of visit: May 2018