See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 September 2014

my original reason to book this room was the price as it turned out they could not pay me to stay here. I opened the door to a smell that was like mold/mildew from a flood, the walls were as dirty as the carpet and stained with what looked like snuff spit and what looked like feces. four steps into the room I could not breath. only there for 10 minutes but was still charged for a full night. will sleep in my car before going back. for any and all thinking about this hellhole BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID.

Room Tip: rooms not fit for man nor beast
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank John E
Reviewed 23 September 2014

Here's the deal: Carlsbad is in the thrall of an oil boom. That means average hotels are ridiculously priced. So you find a cheap place, like Executive. There's a reason it's cheap.

Actually, there are several. Most of them are cleanliness related. First, a very nice Hindu man runs the place. He offered for us to see the room first and then decide if we want it (he may not give this option to everyone, but I'm over 6'2", 280lbs, and have a mohawk. It helps). Since this place was half of Motel 6, we said yes.

The nice Hindu man feeds birds. There were stacks of wild bird seed (hundreds of pounds). The entire roof is covered with pigeons. Some live inside the lobby/office. Not a joke. So it's not human feces that the place smells of (YAY!).

The parking lot/stairs are littered in a quaint fashion that I can only describe as "post-apocalyptic chic" or "Mardi Gras Leftovers." My wife tripped and stabbed her foot on an unwound wire clothes hanger. We genuinely feared that her tetnis shot was not recent enough. Other random detritus includes: cigarette butts, rib bones, brick shards, glass bits, newspaper/magazine shreds, plastic utensils, and more!

We are fairly certain that the sheets were not washed between guests. We are on a road trip that includes camping in National Parks, so we slept on the beds with our sleeping bags. There were no bed bugs or roaches in the room (pleasant surprise!); we checked quite carefully.

Room Tip: Make sure the door has the bolt for that "maybe we won't get murdered tonight" feeling!
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank deCyphar
Reviewed 19 September 2014

we stayed a grand total of 10 minutes before checking out. The room smelled of feces and there were dead roaches behind the dead. Literally look like the kind of hotel you see on the 10:00 news. Peeling paint and urine in stairway. We were stranded due to a storm but decided sleeping in our car would be better than putting our heads on their mattress. Literally the worst hotel we've ever seen!

• Stayed: September 2014
4  Thank JNRCinc
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

The place looks quite rundown and dirty. It was relatively cheap, and now I can see the reason why: there are flies and insects all over the place, there are no ceiling lights in the room, the carpet doesn't look clean at all and neither does everything else to be honest. The walls are very thin and one can hear everything that happens in the rooms close by (literally everything!). We were told there would have been a wifi connection, but the signal is very poor and absolutely unstable.
Some of the hotel staff doesn't even speak English nor Spanish!
I would not recommend this place to anyone: you can find a better place to stay for the same price.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank odudi
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I thought I've stayed in bad hotels. This tops it. The price is dirt cheap and the room shows it. The service is rude and unfriendly.. If you want to stay in a dirt bad then I would go for it otherwise stay away!!

They have a pool but no water In it!!

There are bugs coming out of the sink!

The clean towels aren't even clean! Even they have stains toss the dang thing people!!! Come on! Towels aren't not that damn expensive!

A mop and some damn bleach is a part of the cleaning process!!

• Stayed: July 2014