“Be prepared for some big city noise”

Upper Yorkville Suites
Ranked #35 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 March 2010

After doing alot of research and being warned off vacation rentals, we chose here, and it was a nice surprise to be greeted on our arrival by David, whose is one of the co-owners. It seems most of the units bedrooms face onto 3rd av., except the York suite, so it can be noisy at times at night, especially as we had come from the quietness of the ski fields.
Everthing else about the unit was fine, we stayed in the Broadway on the 2nd floor, and it was a pleasure to get back to the unit after a day of the city bussle. As we were there for 5 nights we got the weekly metro pass, as we used the handy subway everyday, and it takes only 20 minutes or so to get downtown. This was our first visit to NY, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and left a bit worn out.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulgl2
There are newer reviews for Upper Yorkville Suites

Reviewed 20 January 2010

I stayed at Upper Yorkville in November of last year. Been to the city many, many times before, but never stayed in this area before. El Barrio (the neighbourhood) is fantastic - amazing food, about 4 blocks to Central Park.....spectacular setting. Upper Yorkville Suites was by the far the best accomodations I've ever had the pleasure of staying in whilst in NYC...I was in the Lexington suite, which was enormous and very spacious, with every amenity you could think of. It is a bit of a hike up the stairs to the 3rd floor, but they were kind enough to help me up....a friend flew down from Toronto to join me on the weekend, and she was just as impressed. Very trendy studio - so perfectly appointed! Subway just around the corner! Downtown in 15-20 mins via subway. Best place to enjoy the locals - if you're not a touristy Times Square traveller - go to Upper Yorkville Suites!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank rothcarrie
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We stayed in the Lexington suite for 5 days over Christmas and were really pleased with our apartment. The pictures on the website were accurate and in fact we were pleasantly surprised that it was bigger than we expected. We were greeted by the housekeeper who helped us with our bags and showed us around. We had a full kitchen with fridge/over/hobs/etc and a good sized bathroom

We had a great lounge area, with very comfy couch and LCD tv. The bedroom area was big enough and comfortable. However, the bedroom area was streetside and a bit noisy at certain times in the morning. The central heating is also loud when it comes on - the pipes rattle a little. The building is next to a McDonalds which meant relatively loud deliveries/collections early in the morning. Having said that, we were prepared for a noisy stay - it is New York! Also, if you are making the most of your time in New York you will be so tired by the end of the day you will sleep soundly anyway! The subway station is 2 minutes walk away and we had no problems whatsoever with the area in general.

The room was cleaned to a perfect standard everyday and we were well stocked with cereals, biscottis, tea and coffee.

Overall we were delighted with our stay. We are a couple in our late twenties so it was perfect for us as we spent most of the time out and about. This was the perfect base to come home to.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChesterBeth77
Reviewed 12 December 2009

We booked one of their serviced apartments almost by chance but we do not regret. We stayed in the Lexington Suite for a week and had a great time. Clean and user-friendly, this flat has all you need to cook and some breakfast food included in the price. You get daily cleaning service and the pieces of furniture are new (there is also a flatscreen tv-set).
Perfect for 2, you can sleep up to 4 persons thanks to the sofa-bed.
The agency is run by two very friendly and efficient brothers (David and Bob) who also manage the neighbouring hardware shop and can help you finding restaurants and services you may need in the neighbourhood (including a laundry and a taylor). Do not be impressed by the fact that the area might not be so posh as the rest of the Upper East Side: it is anyway quite safe and you can walk around with no problems.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2009

.Had my reservation cancelled twice! They have a policy which makes you pay the full amount prior to arrival. I spoke to the owner on the phone and explained my student credit card would not be able to take the full amount. Therefore my reservation was cancelled.

I booked it again and explained to someone else I was paying cash and had made travel arrangements guaranteeing I would be there. One week past, no word of cancellation. I spent a day on the train travelling and tried and tried to contact the owner for a period of 5 hours prior to arrival but couldn’t reach him.

When I arrived I didn’t know if I had a booking! I then found out it was cancelled. JOE (owner) sent me an EMAIL (no phone call) while on the train. It was pure luck the apartment was still available.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple