“Good cuts of meat to try - Real Meaty Appetizers that you can just keep eating”

White Gold Butchers
Ranked #5,064 of 14,725 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed 2 April 2018

DRINKS:
Nice wine menu. Had granache, syrah blend.

SERVICE:
Nice friendly wait staff

DECOR/ATMOSPHERE:
Nice decor with very butcher-esque feel to it

FOOD/PRICE:
CHICKEN HEARTS WITH CILANTRO VINAIGRETTE ($16)
Great starter. Spicy but went awesome with the wine

BEEF TARTAR ($18?)
Chunky pieces of beef that were just melt in your mouth. Potato chips were good, but I would have loved a piece of bread to go with..

SHORT RIBS WITH CHIMICHURRI ($30)
The raw greenness of the chimichurri was awesome with the fatty short rib steaks. Simply awesome

BUTTERNUT SQUASH W/ SAGE & BACON (side) $11
Nice sage flavor to the cubed squash. I thought it was very nicely done. Bacon was all completely burnt & black. Not sure if it was intentional

Overall serving sizes were small but that's what you get for high quality food.

Reviewed 17 December 2017

Overall the service and the food was excellent. We seemed to be an annoyance to the person who took our order. He went to get us a menu (gosh, why would we need a menu to order???) got distracted and then went on to a new task conveniently ignoring us. Someone else in line shared there menu and we were able to order eventually. Our Matzoh Ball Soup was delicious, the burger and hot dog super.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

This darling little butcher shop turned restaurant ..owned by the Spotted Pig restauranteurs.... is quaint, charming and with excellent food. Everything we ordered was incredible. Worth the wait.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

A butchers, a restauraunt and a coffee shop. Not a place to go if you are vegan I suppose. Nice atmosphere and perhaps quirky. it provided us with a good opportunity to rest our feet and dodge a rain shower.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

I think I must have hyped this restaurant up a little too much. I heard about it from a friend who said it was supposed to be excellent (they had not been, but I have since advised them not to bother). I live on the Upper West, so I was excited to possibly have a new favorite spot! Maybe I caught them on a bad night?

I had a reservation, and was seated relatively quickly. But nobody came to bring by a glass of water for almost 10 minutes. It is a very small seating area- there are maybe 15 2-top tables in the whole place, so with 2 servers and a hostess, it's not like they were slammed. It was also sweltering hot in the restaurant, as they did not have the air conditioning or any fans running (it was close to 90 degrees outside). So now I was sweating and thirsty- a bad combo, and not exactly one that makes you want to eat a hunk of meat....

When our server came over, she was neither friendly nor helpful. I fully believe that a server has the ability to make or break a dining experience, and this was a good example of a break. We had simple questions about the menu (which is VERY limited, therefore should be easy to speak to) like "how is this cooked? what is this served with? what is ____?" She couldn't answer any of our questions and finally we just said forget it and ordered on a whim. I got the chicken fried rice which was decent, but came out FAR too hot and I couldn't bring myself to eat very much of it as it was already so hot in the restaurant. The menu also does not describe it well. I would have liked to have known that there was some type of sausage in it (I still don't know what I was eating. One of my questions was what the rice had in it, and the server's only reply was "its a very simple dish.")
I wanted beef for my main course, but the cut I ordered was no longer available. They had only one other beef option and it was 23 oz rib eye, which was far too large. For lack of options, and against my better judgement (I wanted to get up and leave by now), I ordered the pork. It was fine, but it definitely wasn't what I went there for and I was disappointed. During our meal, I heard the table next to us tell the server that their beer was warm and overheard others also ask about the air conditioning. I didn't see anyone try to address the temperature. I was thoroughly disappointed in the entire experience. It is pricey and the service was awful. I will not be returning to this place.

1  Thank Alid0223