“The only 29-29-29 Zagat rated restaurant in NY”
Review of SHO Shaun Hergatt - CLOSED

SHO Shaun Hergatt
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Cross street: Exchange Place
Transit: J & Z trains to Broad St. 4 & 5 trains to Wall St (at Broadway). 1 or R to Rector St. (at Trinity), 2 & 3 at Wall St. (at William).
Description: The Exchange at the Setai Wall Street ushers in a new sensibility to The Financial District. While maintaining The Setai’s striking decor Executive Chef Josh Capone brings his hometown style of San Francisco based Contemporary American cuisine into play. Ingredients are locally sourced and seasonal. Flavors are bold yet balanced. The approachable menu now features both a la carte and prix fixe options for lunch and dinner. Our three course prix fixe menus are now priced at $28 for lunch and $42 for dinner. As an experienced baker his breads and focaccia are now made on premise. To finish a great experience desserts are now under the guidance of former Aureole alum Alise Ciucci. We look forward to welcoming you to The Exchange.
Reviewed 18 March 2012

And it deserves it. Breathtaking ambiance, and simply remarkable food. Brilliant service -- SHO has it all, and unbelievably reasonable prix fixe lunch and dinner menus. Worth the trip to Wall Street.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

WOW! This was a terrific experience. My wife and I asked for a special menu due to dietary restrictions and they could not have been more accommodating. Nathan was there to answer any and all questions. We had a tasting menu put together by chef Shaun. All the choices were stunning. We have been to many of the best in NYC (Per Se, Daniel, Le Bernardin, Jean Georges & EMP). I must say that this was in the running for my best overall experience. We sat right by the kitchen near the glass to get a view of the action. It really was a SHO! Chef also took us on a tour of the kitchen and was very personable and answered all of our questions. I think SHO Shaun Hergatt has a bright future and can expect a 3rd star in short order. Kudos

Reviewed 22 February 2012

To start we enjoyed the foie gras with truffles, you can't go wrong, then the octopus.
Next came the lobster with a curry sauce and the risotto and cured egg…both incredible.
Wine selection for this tasting was a crisp and robust 2004 Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte.
We paired our dessert with a 2007 Heidi Schrock. The wine sommelier was very helpful
with our selections it was a perfect way to complete our meal.

Overall this was a very pleasurable dinning experience

Reviewed 1 February 2012

Located on the 2nd level of The Setai, SHO Shaun Hergatt is a dark and sultry experience. Everything from the decor to the unusual fountain on the way to the dining room, to the wine racks says taste. We were there during restaurant weeks to experience a prix fixe meal for $35. Our wine for 4 was $70 and the wine list was solid, although the wine racks were unnervingly empty. They have a capacity for much more wine!
Their tasting menu was quite varied for such a three course short taste and price. Normally a 5 course tasting menu is $100 and $85 for four courses, so this is why we chose this during restaurant weeks.
I learned of a cooking process that I was unaware of: "sous vide". Sous Vide Organic Chicken with Pommes Purée – Brussels Sprouts, uses a slow cooking method with items vacuum sealed that originated in France. The chicken was indeed luscious. The barley risotto was superbly prepared and I love root veggies any day! Also reported as interesting and flavorsome was the Hand Made Cocoa Pappardelle with Torpedo Shallots and Wild Mushroom Ragout. The pasta was not as wide as Italian pappardelle, however the delicate cocoa flavor was savory.
Service was impeccable and four servers delivered each of the three courses. Impressive, too, when they explained each dish in the course.
It is obvious that being in the financial district they cater to expense accounts and luncheons as there were several large rooms for groups, and this weeknight there were many tables still unoccupied.
Finding SHO Shaun Hergatt was easy from the J or Z train. I came above ground right in front of the restaurant.
We had a drink at the bar and several financial types are obvious regulars and the cocktails had a good-sized pour and typical Manhattan prices.
I would love to go back and order from the full menu: Hudson Valley Foie Gras, Nova Scotia lobster, Three day Beef Cheek, to name a few. I would add that most of the menu items were fish related, so keep that in mind.
-David Allen

Reviewed 24 January 2012

Restaurant Week's prix-fixe menus are either an excellent opportunity to sample the food of an expensive restaurant or they are traps for adventurous diners who hope for a glimpse of the usual fare but are served acceptable food without the passion offered to diners at the normal price. The latter is what happened to us at SHO Shaun. While their service was fine and the first course showed great promise, the remainder of the meal was lackluster when measured against my expectations - expectations I had developed from reading countless reviews of diners here. I'd go back to try the full priced menu, but I'll recommend skipping SHO Shaun for Restaurant Week.