“Lovely, clean, safe and affordable, what's not to love?!”
Review of La Sienna

La Sienna
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I was at La Sienna with my boyfriend over the weekend and we had a wonderful time! Our room was really cute, and the place was clean and really convenient to get to the subway. The closest subway stop has an express train going to it, so it was awesome for getting anywhere in the city. There was street parking too, which was free during the weekend. Just watch out during the week because double parking seems to take place in some sections. I will definitely return to La Sienna!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 February 2011

I stayed at the la Sienna in December and I really enjoyed my stay there. My room was tiny but clean and the bed was very comfortable. I liked the neighborhood, I always felt safe as a woman travelling alone, on the short way home from the subway you even pass a police station. It was very quiet in my room and I met nice people at the guesthouse. WiFi worked perfectly. There is a Starbucks just a couple of minutes away where I had breakfast almost every morning and if you want to save money you can buy food and use the kitchen.

There is only one complaint, the "heating situation". To safe money they turned the heating only twice a day on for 1-2 hours and that was around 11pm and around 5am. So when I came home around 9pm it was freezing in my room, I went to bed wearing two sweaters and woke up because it was so hot in the room, I took one sweater off and later I had to put it on again just to take it off in the morning again and when I woke up between 8am and 9pm and wanted to take a shower it was freezing again. I can understand that it is too expensive to turn the heating on all day, but they could turn it on when most guests are at home, lets say between 7pm and 11 pm and between 7am and 10am.

Nevertheless, I think it is probably one of the best places you can get in Manhattan when you travel on a low budget or prefer to spend your money on clothes instead on a hotel room and I've already booked my next stay at the La Sienna, I will be back in October (and bring some friends), I just hope it won't be that cold ;-).

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Gingerbread241, Owner at La Sienna, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2011

We get some complaints that it is too hot or cold. So we try to maintain a certain temperature. We do crank up the heat 3 times a day during the busiest time so people will have a warm shower. However, if it does not fit with your schedule and you are cold please let us know while you are here and we will try to accomodate you as much as possible. We have an inhouse caretaker on the premises who will assist you.

Reviewed 15 February 2011

I've reviewed this guest house previously. Now I find the review was taken down. I hope it was not because I listed cons and well as pros. The website slogan is "Get the truth"! Anyway, let's see how long this one stays up.

This guest house is located in Harlem and despite the bad reputation of the area, I felt safe most of the time, even when walking late at night. I doubt anyone would want there daughter to walk in the area late at night though.

The best things about this guest house are the value ($45-60 per night for a comfortable, pleasant room and usually clean kitchen and bathroom facilities) and location (about 5-10 minutes walk from a subway station from where you can get relatively easily around New York by catching trains north and south, and buses east and west). For anyone unfamiliar with New York, I would say harlem is a decent location to base yourself from but recommend looking first for a place south from Times square near where all the different subway routes come together, making it easier for you to go anywhere in NY quickly.

There were a few negatives about my stay which I will briefly describe in hopes that people can "Get the Truth".
-Firstly, the bathroom on my floor was not available for use nearly my entire stay and instead I had to use a tiny little shower and shave over the kitchen sink. At the time I was told by one of the inn keepers that a water pipe had blown and it needed to be repaired. Later on the other inn keeper said she had scheduled a rennovation to the bathroom. If they had've told me the bathroom would be unavailable due to rennovation, I could've made my own choice to stay or not. Instead I felt lied to.
-Secondly, despite what all the other reviewers say about the service being wonderful and this place being a home away from home, I did not feel I was treated respectfully. During my stay I had an inn keeper accuse me of deliberately leaving a fan on all day; I was given a patronising 'note' suggesting I was a power waster and would be responsible for higher costs to other guests; I asked for a hand towel to be placed in the bathroom so guests could dry their hands, was given one, and then was told off for placing it in the bathroom where everyone could use it (for some reason they only allowed me to use it); I was in the middle of eating dinner and told abruptly to clean the pot I'd used in the kitchen as other guests were about to arrive; one of the inn keepers routinely smoked on the stairs outside while people exited and entered the building; etc.
-Third, there were arguments/shouting on the street outside my room during about 30% of the evenings. I woke up on several occasions because of this, and I'm a heavy sleeper.

Lastly, I was given pumpkin bread on arrival. It was delicious and when I asked for the recipe I was told it was bought from Starbucks!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Tellingitlikeiseeit
Gingerbread241, Owner at La Sienna, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

His visit was a year ago. The first review was taken down a year ago because it was inappropriate.

For shared bathrooms we offer two. We closed down the bathroom to put down a marble floor but still supplied two full functioning bathrooms. And this work was done once the guests left the building and stopped before they returned. Under no circumstances do we allow anyone to shave over the kitchen sink.

We have private or shared kitchens and bathrooms. When you share a kitchen/bathroom you have to think about the next person who is going to be using the facilities. Everyone should be allowed to walk into a clean kitchen and bathroom.

We do not respond to people in an aggressive manner nor do we tolerate any form of aggression at La Sienna.

He asked us for the pumpkin bread a previous guest had left behind. We said okay. Following day he told us that the bread was moldy and old so we went out and purchased some pumpkin bread for him to which he ask for the recipe.

This is a non-smoking building so smokers can only smoke outside the building.

This is New York so at times it can be noisy but 30%, not possible.

He asked for things that we do not offer but still accommodated him as much as possible. We have emailed this guest a year ago when the review was first posted to ask why he did not mention this to us and allowed us the opportunity to a solution. His suggested we give him money and would leave the amount up to our discretion to which we responded “Have a nice day”.

Reviewed 5 February 2011

I La Sienna is a fantastic guesthouse to stay at in New York. I came here and needed someplace; safe, affordable, clean, and close to transportation. La Sienna fit all of my requirements. As a female traveling alone I had absolutely no worries about the safety of the guesthouse. Many friends were worried about me staying in Harlem, I have no idea why because the neighbourhood was completely safe, and quiet (for New York that is). La Sienna is only a couple blocks away from the 125th street subway station, which has the A and D lines, so getting around the city is easy. There are maps and brochures downstairs for local tourist attractions.

The room I stayed in had a single bed with a desk and chair, closet and tv in an airmoire. I love that I only paid about $50/night for a private room. In a chain hotel this would cost around $200/night. I wanted to save money, and have privacy (unlike dorm rooms at a hostel). Also unlike hostel there's no curfew or lockout, and you have your own key for the building and your room. Everything was modestly decorated and always clean. The property is nonsmoking, which I appreciate. There's a shared kitchen; with several grocery stores nearby it's easy to make your own meals to save some money. The bathroom is also shared, toilet in one room and sink and shower in another. Since the property is pretty small (compared to a hostel or hotel) I never ran into an issue of needing to use the washroom while it was occupied.

There are a few other things you may want to take note of (these aren't necessarily bad, but could catch you off guard if you're not prepared). The building is a brownstone walk up and there are no elevators or wheelchair ramps. If you have mobility issues you will want to book another accommodation. I'd recommend packing light as it makes carrying bags up the stairs easier. I was able to store my bag after I checked out so I could wander around before going to the airport. The room I stayed in did not have air conditioning, and it was quite hot outside. I left the window open during the day and turned the ceiling fan on at night. I understand they are considering getting air conditioning for the rooms, which I think would be a great investment.

They do only take cash or traveler's cheques and the balance needs to be paid when you arrive. There are also two cats on site, but they are not allowed in the guests rooms. I knew of these two things beforehand and they didn't bother me.

In the end I loved my stay at La Sienna. The time and care Yvette and Manny put into this guesthouse shows. Staying here feels comfortable and relaxed, like staying at home or with family. If you're looking for a great, affordable place to stay I'd definitely recommend La Sienna. I'll be booking here for my next to trip to New York.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I travel a fair bit for work as an administrator of international study options for university students. Most of my travel involves staying in two star hotels or hostels - i.e. student friendly accomodations. Even when traveling on my own, I find still prefer this type of accomodation as I would rather spend my money on more travel rather than fancy, cookie cutter, soul-less hotels! So I go looking for unique options in my destinations. Still, nothing could prepare me for how wonderful an option the La Sienna would offer to weary travelers!

I had a good sense of the area in which the house was located after visiting NYC many times in the past yet I was a little fearful. Many economical places in NYC are literally dumps. What a pleasant surprise because this cannot even remotely describe La Sienna! Yvette and Manny (proprietors) have lovelingly nurtured the house into a warm and inviting destination for visitors. Whether you book a bedroom utilizing the shared bath and kitchen or one of the private suites, every room is carefull tended and offers the highest standard in comfort and cleanliness.

After that first visit, I happlly returned to La Sienna for a two week vacation in December 2010 . The heart felt welcome from Yvette and Manny made me feel as if I had truly found my home away from home. From the little welcoming surprises left around the suite to Manny and Yvette meeting us at the door to help with luggage, we felt like we had come home. The proximity to the subway, restaurants (I love the soul food at Manna's), shops - especially Carol's Daughter (ladies, you must go there for a mani/pedi) and even Central Park, that are all near by add to make this guest house an exceptional choice. My only hesitation in writing this review is that I will have trouble getting a reservation for my next visit! And there will be a next visit.

All that is left to say is, thanks so much to Yvette and Manny for offering visitors such an awesome guesthouse and wonderfully personalized stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank annieprunes
Gingerbread241, Owner at La Sienna, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2011

Thank for all your reviews. It has helped us a great deal. We actually enjoy what we do. We have an opportunity to meet people all over the world. Which is very exciting for us and we get to learn about different cultures. So thank you everyone. Manny and I look foward to our future guests.