“Second time....”

The John Dory Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The John Dory Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,412 of 15,868 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: NoMad
Reviewed 31 December 2017

A couple months ago we came for a happy hour oysters. We were impressed by the menu (snails, trout...etc), but not the service.

I thought the food was good enough to give it another chance.
The menu changed (seasonal). We had a couple dozen oysters and I had the scallops.
It was an amazing dish...
The service was okay, bizarre to say the least. A really strange waiter with earlobe extenders was borderline creepy.

The hostess was extremely friendly on the phone and in person.

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

This is the place where I think I had the best vodka-martinis with fresh green olives ever!
Accompanied with some lovely oysters and laidback atmosphere it made the perfect start of a great evening.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

I was here with a group, and we sat at two tables in the front of the restaurant. It worked okay, but there was a lot of noise (not all our doing). It was quite crowded overall, but the service was generally good.

The menu was fixed, and we started with a giant tray of oysters and shrimp. All okay, but the shrimp were not quite up to par (but fully edible). Main courses included salmon and short ribs, with accompaying vegetables. It was all okay, but nothing was really outstanding. No one raved about any of the dishes. A dessert was not to my taste.

I suspect that this place might do better under other circumstances, but I can't manage to give it more than three stars.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

I ate at John Dory because I was staying in Korea town and wanted fish. It was a few blocks from my hotel easy to get into on a Sunday night. There was ample window bar seating, so it’s nice for Solo travelers.

I ordered 1/2 dozen oysters on the half shell which tasted very fresh and the waiter was very friendly was knowledge about the different varieties of oysters. I had a nice glass of Sancerre and I had the scallops for my entree, my only complaint was that the portion size was small for the price, I would have liked to have had another scallop. But all and all a great experience. Delicious food and good service and great atmosphere. I will definitely go back and recommend it to others.

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Stopped in late one night to have a few drinks at the bar during our vacation in NYC. Great little bar and atmosphere! Drinks were on the money and the garlic rosemary peanuts were the perfect late night snack!

1  Thank Beth B