“La vera pizza”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Yorkville
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Orright, finally an authentic pizza!
In NY State is very common to find place where you get something that looks like pizza but it's not. Here it's different.
It's my top place to get pizza in NY.
Don't miss it!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

I ate in this restaurant some days ago. the food is delicious (I ordered 2 pizzas and a panuozzo with eggplants). The prices are not so high for the quality of the products. The owner( Ciro ) is from Salerno and he is helpful, kind... I think I was in Italy !

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank florianai542
Reviewed 10 July 2018

There aren't many truly authentic italian restaurants on the upper east side. But you can tell here because the waiters and owner are often there speaking in italian with eachother. This is an authentic napoletano experience, and they know their pizza. I would give 5* again, but I try to reserve that for truly transcendental experiences, and while this is certainly the best of the best around the Upper East Side or maybe even manhattan, I don't know if this will compete with the best of the best world-wide. But i really do not want to take anything away from San Matteo, you will not be disappointed.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 9 July 2018

A little Salernitan piece in Manhattan with an excellent pizza (try both the red and white), and if this is not enough go for the "panzotto" a sandwich "panino" with rucola and pork that literatelly melt in your mouth, what a delicious¡¡¡. Do not expect a fancy place but the service is extraordinary. Definetively must return.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 26 June 2018

I'm seriously thinking that this is the best pizza ever ever ever. Everything about the visit was wonderful....the greeting in Italian from the owner/manager? I could not understand a word he said but I LOVED all the gestures. (before I forget - this restaurant is tiny so try to go off hours). Our server - a young Italian male who was so welcoming that I wanted to adopt him ....oh and then there was the pizza. Perfect crust, perfect balance of light sauce and light cheese and perhaps the most exquisitely tasting olive oil I've ever had (they kind of graciously avoided telling me what it was or where they got it. Italy they said...where I asked...in the south they said....i gave up and returned to grab the last slice before my companion grabbed it.

Date of visit: June 2018