“Upper East Side Gem---Great Pizza”

San Matteo Pizza Espresso Bar
Ranked #44 of 15,763 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed 16 August 2018

My wife and I recently visited San Matteo. If you are in the neighborhood don't miss this gem on the upper east side. It only has 8 to 10 tables inside and a few outside, but the pizza is outstanding (the dough is very unique) ---and the pizza options are the most we have seen in any place in NYC.

1  Thank jcarson21

Reviewed 6 August 2018

This is one of the best pizzas I had for long time, not only in New York, but also in Italy. It is the real thing and on top of that, service is friendly and funny and the decor is nice. Unmissable...

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Orright, finally an authentic pizza!
In NY State is very common to find place where you get something that looks like pizza but it's not. Here it's different.
It's my top place to get pizza in NY.
Don't miss it!

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

I ate in this restaurant some days ago. the food is delicious (I ordered 2 pizzas and a panuozzo with eggplants). The prices are not so high for the quality of the products. The owner( Ciro ) is from Salerno and he is helpful, kind... I think I was in Italy !

1  Thank Floriana I
Reviewed 10 July 2018

There aren't many truly authentic italian restaurants on the upper east side. But you can tell here because the waiters and owner are often there speaking in italian with eachother. This is an authentic napoletano experience, and they know their pizza. I would give 5* again, but I try to reserve that for truly transcendental experiences, and while this is certainly the best of the best around the Upper East Side or maybe even manhattan, I don't know if this will compete with the best of the best world-wide. But i really do not want to take anything away from San Matteo, you will not be disappointed.