“Best Chinese on the Upper East Side”
Review of Szechuan Chalet

Szechuan Chalet
Ranked #8,222 of 14,913 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We love this restaurant and have been back at least a dozen times. I tell you this because normally I avoid Chinese food as I find it either too oily or saucy, but this restaurant, which has recently changed its name to Szechuan Gourmet, is so good I do not hesitate to recommend it. Their salt & pepper prawns are excellent, the fried rice sans soy sauce outstanding, string beans are sooooooo tasty and the best, a special request they will honor, is white fish in a scallion and ginger sauce. The portions are copious.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

We were a party of five and each one of us commented on how good the food was. We dine there often and find that each dish is prepared well and tasted great. Our favorite dish is Heavenly Chicken with the right amount of "hot" flavor.

We would recommend this restaurant to all our friends.

1  Thank nycresident92
Reviewed 18 June 2009

First of all, let me give you some background on my sushi expertise. I have been to many sushi restaurants here Florida and about 10 different ones in New York. I have a personal preference for the inventive rolls involving tempura, raw fish, shrimp, cream cheese, japanese mayo, fish eggs, etc. I don't care much for the traditional sushi. If you are into the inventive sushi, you will LOVE this restaurant. The rolls were perfectly made with just the right amount of rice. They each had their own distinguishing flavor, and were the perfect consistency and size. The freshness was the best I have experienced so far. The rice is the best too, fresh, chewy and soft. We had tempura cheesecake for dessert which was excellent.

Sato is a bit pricey though. Our bill for 2 people came out to $70 without tip (whereas in Florida, we usually pay $30-50 without tip), but it is worth it, and you will find that sushi is generally expensive in Manhattan.

1  Thank theblackrabbitofinle
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 11 August 2008

The cooked Japanese food is wonderful, as well as the sushi and rolls. The fish is so well prepared! On top of all that it's BYOB so you won't feel the hit on your wallet!

Service is friendly and personable. The owner recognized us our second time there and treats us like regulars ever since.

I love this place!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Great for takeout! Sashimi was fab!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook