“What happened here”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed 17 September 2014

This was my favorite authentic Chinese restaurant on the upper east side.
It seems that they have lost their liquor license and lots of their knowledgeable staff.
Obviously a new manager that is trying to keep the overhead lower
By shutting off half of their lights!
It's very bizarre and no longer the great restaurant of the recent past.

The food as well has been taken to a much lower standard !
I will not go back ....this place is in trouble.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

My girlfriends and I had a nice evening out and chose this restaurant for dinner. The food service and drinks were great! On our first visit our waiter was attentive and kinda hovered over us, but everything else was great. However, on our second visit we did feel more comfortable and again the food was great. We will be back again. So far we have enjoyed everything we tried and the atmosphere is very relaxing.
I would recommend.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We love this restaurant and have been back at least a dozen times. I tell you this because normally I avoid Chinese food as I find it either too oily or saucy, but this restaurant, which has recently changed its name to Szechuan Gourmet, is so good I do not hesitate to recommend it. Their salt & pepper prawns are excellent, the fried rice sans soy sauce outstanding, string beans are sooooooo tasty and the best, a special request they will honor, is white fish in a scallion and ginger sauce. The portions are copious.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

We were a party of five and each one of us commented on how good the food was. We dine there often and find that each dish is prepared well and tasted great. Our favorite dish is Heavenly Chicken with the right amount of "hot" flavor.

We would recommend this restaurant to all our friends.

1  Thank nycresident92
Reviewed 18 June 2009

First of all, let me give you some background on my sushi expertise. I have been to many sushi restaurants here Florida and about 10 different ones in New York. I have a personal preference for the inventive rolls involving tempura, raw fish, shrimp, cream cheese, japanese mayo, fish eggs, etc. I don't care much for the traditional sushi. If you are into the inventive sushi, you will LOVE this restaurant. The rolls were perfectly made with just the right amount of rice. They each had their own distinguishing flavor, and were the perfect consistency and size. The freshness was the best I have experienced so far. The rice is the best too, fresh, chewy and soft. We had tempura cheesecake for dessert which was excellent.

Sato is a bit pricey though. Our bill for 2 people came out to $70 without tip (whereas in Florida, we usually pay $30-50 without tip), but it is worth it, and you will find that sushi is generally expensive in Manhattan.

1  Thank theblackrabbitofinle