“Excellent sushi restaurant - you always need a reservation ”
Review of Sushi Yasaka

Sushi Yasaka
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Yasaka is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #817 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: West End and Broadway
Transit: 72 St (1, 2, 3) 79 St (1, 2) 66 St - Lincoln Center (1, 2)
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have gone to Sushi Yasaka many times. It’s in our neighborhood. We’ve had Sushi in various cities in the USA as well as in Japan and Korea. Sushi Yasaka is always excellent. It is a very popular place so you always need to make a reservation in advance for dinner. Lunch is sometimes less crowded but don’t count on being able to just walk in.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

My favorite place to hang out at the sushi bar and get chef's choice (Omakase) sushi. Considering some high end places charge $150 for this, we got Omakase for three for the same price. Sushi Yasaka is reasonable given the quality of the fish. Also had the asparagus with sesame paste and gyoza for appetizer. Deservedly an UWS institution.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

I don't know how this place gets such rave reviews. I chose this place strictly on the Yelp reviews: for quality and pricing, since there are so many sushi places in NY to dine. I made an Open Table reservation for a Sunday at 7:30. I had modified that day to 8:45 knowing that we would be running late. When we arrived the Host looked at us startle when we told him we had a reservation through Open Table. Obviously they don't check their Open Table reservation account. When we were seated, it took a bit for our server about come over after we had to request menus. She was not very pleasant.

We ordered Uni, Salmon, Yellowtail, and Eel Sushi along with a Spicy Tuna Handroll and a Salmon Skin Handroll. The Uni was very watery, the Yellowtail had part of the colored vein on it, the Salmon Skin Handroll had cold salmon skin in it, was not toasted crispy. The Spicy Tunaroll had very mushy tuna in it, we also requested it extra Spicy so they added jalapeño in it, which they then charged us an extra $1. The quality was very mediocre, frankly we get better sushi in Arizona and that's the desert.

... and frankly what turned me off about the whole restaurant was the the server, very annoyingly rushed over to our table at 9:10 to tell us we better put in our last order because the kitchen is going to close (even though it took her 15 minutes to come to our table, deliver menus and take out order) Really! Your restaurant closes at 9:30 your last order should be at 9:30. I found it extremely rude especially for mediocre quality of fish.

In addition if you want to give customers time to order and enjoy their meal, then block off Open Table reservations at 8:00 p.m. if you are going to CLOSE your restaurant at 9:30 p.m. and don't allow reservations after that time. It's rude!

Atmosphere: typical small Japanese restaurant, Service: mediocre, Food: mediocre

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We were two .for lunch we have ordered a big variation of sashimi and later a smaller portion of sushi.
The quality of some of the fishes were very average particularly the toro.
This place is rated among the best ten sushi bars and looking forward to eat there we were disappointed.
Service correct

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

I asked for takeout, the server didn't give me the menu and wanted me to order immediately, and got wrong on what I ordered.