“Tiny but clean and so convenient”
Review of St. Marks Hotel

St. Marks Hotel
Ranked #412 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 September 2016

This was a great find.First, note that this hotel is not for everyone. The rooms are TINY and SPARSE. The noise outside can be loud. There are stairs, and no elevator. They only take CASH or TRAVELERS CHECKS. There's no room service. But if you're looking for a clean, secure place to drop your bag and immediately head out into the chaos and fun of the East Village, this is it. My room was tiny but scrupulously clean. The front desk folk were all friendly and helpful. And you are right by NYU, right by Cooper Union, right at the head of the very historic and fascinating and vibrant St. Mark's Place. It was perfect.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank LaurieMinnesota

Reviewed 16 September 2016

The food is average, the prices are high, the ambience is excellent, people watching is extraordinary, the amount of botox and filler to maintain the youth of the older people is quite funny!
I would go back again, even if only to see the pretentious at their best!

Stayed: August 2016
2  Thank craigsN8866JP
Reviewed 31 August 2016

This hotel is really strange- partially I loved it because it is a very old fashioned place right in a great part of NYC that I love. Quirky. Unique. Old. Lots of character. However at the same time I know there are many people who would not step foot in this hotel. There is no elevator - only very steep stairs- no real easily accessible help, and the place is wide open all the time day and night. About as far from elegant as you can get. The rooms were clean- but so old that you wonder about bed bugs- but I inspected our room really closely and it was clean with NO Bedbugs at all- just beds that are old and squeaky- but it was indeed clean. It offered a place to sleep and decompress after a long day in the city. bedding was like what you find at a rustic campground for summer camp- a thin blanket and sheet with two pillows- worn sheets ( but clean so you know I can't criticize them too much on this) They stored our large luggage downstairs while we stayed in the hotel room for the night. Really there is nothing I could complain about- you get what you pay for - a room for the night- pay cash- and you get the room- but no special nice service or people that interested in if you come or go etc. The hike up the narrow steps was a pain for me- I have arthritis so it was hard- but the room was okay and air conditioning worked- plus the view onto the city streets outside was magical - especially to someone unfamiliar with NYC. You will hear traffic and music and action all night long- but I liked that and watched the shadows on the ceiling go buy as the traffic came and went all night long- this had a strange sort of ambiance that you find in old movies. Things were open ALL NIGHT LONG and this was pretty unexpected to someone from a small town in New England. I didn't know quite how to rate this hotel. I felt I was lucky to get a place in this location for such a cheap rate- but it was not like a five or even a three star hotel- In fact I don't think they have stars here- It's a strange place. There were NO Perks to this place at all but we didn't pay for any either. I would say the oldness of the hotel was charming but also made me want to check for bedbugs or just make sure I isolated my luggage etc that spent any time in the room- but as I said earlier no bedbugs- just bedbug covers on the bed - something that was crispy when I rolled over in bed reminding me that there probably was a day when bedbugs were there and they worked hard to eliminate the problem. My bed was very very hard squeaky and uncomfortable. This stay was someplace between roughing it, camping, a hostel and an air conditioned box-from a strange old movie. Luckily though it was a locked air conditioned box with a clean bathroom- and interesting view- and yes it was indeed clean! So, I can't say I would love to stay here again, but for the money- in a pinch- it is really okay. It's an old NYC hotel with a very colorful history to say the least. I moved my daughter into her dorm after staying here for the night. We stored her luggage in the luggage room and rolled them next morning four tenths of a mile down 8th Ave to her NYU dorm. No driving in NYC, no traffic to sit in, and we got to have fun in the city. I personally loved this neighborhood in the city that really never did sleep all night long when I stayed. We went out at about 9 pm and got a great dinner- watched the crazy groups of people hanging around sitting on couches on the street that were thrown out and people celebrating etc and found it a true amazing spectacle. Many folks from the area raised their eyebrows when I told them I was staying here- it has a very checkered history you can read about online but if you want a cheap place in NYC and are not queasy or picky and can stand to rough it a bit- and if you love to experience new parts of the city this is one not to miss! Maybe this aspect will make me go back and give it four stars.
If you have a wheelchair or have trouble walking you will hate the stairs and there is little help- or interest. One good thing. If you cancel part of your reservation- they don't charge it to your card- so they just didn't charge me when I decided at the last minute not to stay the second night I had reserved. This was really nice. I think they fill up every night so they didn't lose anything when I cancelled. Very nice. Interesting spot- Who knows maybe I will return.

Room Tip: Lower your expectations. Get rooms closer to entrance if possible- buttbuster stairs