“Wonderful!”
Review of Almayass

Almayass
Reserve with OpenTable
Almayass is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #82 of 15,868 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$50
Cuisines: Armenian, Lebanese, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Gramercy Park
Cross street: Between Broadway and Park
Description: "There is no sincerer love than the love of food" Bernard Shaw The essence of Almayass is best described "...when the hanging leaves dance to the rhythm of delicate breeze."
Reviewed 12 April 2017

Stopped in for dinner after seeing really good reviews and our experience lived up to the reviews. We sat in the bar area because we wanted more quiet seating. Service was attentive and helpful with our questions. Large wine selections from Lebanon and Albania but we were hesitant to try them so we chose a French red that was amazing with dinner. I ordered the Moutabbal (eggplant dip) which was creamy and smokey and my husband the baked halloumi which had a fantastic flavor. Warm pita with zaatar infused olive oil accompanied our appetizers. It was hard to choose from so many delicious menu items. We had the Chicken Taouk and the meat mantee for entrees. Both plates were cooked to perfection. Too full for dessert so can't comment on it. Absolutely loved the food, the space and the service!!

Reviewed 30 March 2017

I actually couldn’t wait to review Almayass. It was some of the most delicious food I’ve had in my whole life. Think that’s a bold statement? Maybe. But it’s also true. It was THAT good. I felt I had died and gone to food heaven. They serve you pita bread and pita crisps with a minty, parsley-spiced olive oil on the table while you wait. This was new to me and very tasty.

I’m a vegetarian, so here’s what I had:
Armenian Salad — I split this with my boyfriend. It’s large enough to share for sure. It was remarkably fresh tasting and a great way to start our meal.
Dolma — As an American (and an Armenian-American!) I had always thought that dolmas were stuffed grape leaves. Apparently not because a dolma at Almayass is stuffed eggplant with a yogurt sauce on top. But that description is just too simple for the deliciousness that was Almayass’ dolma. The first bite had me moaning with foodie pleasure. It seemed like the eggplant was melting in my mouth. My tastebuds were pleasantly overwhelmed. I have since dreamed about this dish. I have also told anyone who will listen to go to Almayass and order this dish. Moving on…
Subereg — Delicate puff pastry with some delicious cheese mixture baked into the inside. Is there anything more to say? Just order it. You’re welcome.
Hummus with roasted cauliflower — As a cauliflower aficionado, I felt it was my duty to try this. I was not disappointed. Who knew that roasted cauliflower was so compatible with hummus?
My boyfriend had a chicken dish (Taouk?) that he said was also delicious. Based on how amazing my food was it’s easy to believe.

We had some fun drinks to go with our meal — they have a fun assortment. I was too full for dessert but had to get baklava to go. When I finally had some I felt like maybe it was not made on site, but it was still very, very good. (Grandma’s was better.)
I do recommend reservations tho. Especially on a Saturday. We had reservations so we had no problems, but there was someone coming in without reservations and they had to turn him away.

So that’s it. I literally can’t wait until I can go back to Almayass. I think about it way more than is healthy. ☺

Reviewed 10 March 2017

This is a great Lebanese fine dining restaurant. It's particularly tasty for vegetarians even though it doesn't advertise itself that way. The dolma and cauliflower hummus are great.

Reviewed 3 March 2017 via mobile

My wife and I love Mediterranean food and we're anxious to try this restaurant. We ordered the Mixed Grill for two with Tazeki on the side. The rice and Tazeki made for a spectacular combination. The meat was overcooked and we found not to be a generous portion, more like for one than two. If we went again we would order the Mixed Grill medium rare.

Reviewed 10 February 2017

Huge selection of vegetarian options and the food is amazing. The variety is tremendous and the mixture of Armenian and Lebanese cuisines is a awesome. The wine selection, especially some of the Lebanese options are worth trying. Great staff, service and the desserts are to die for!

1  Thank Piyush M