“Weekend visit”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Park & Madison
Transit: 4, 5, 6 Trains at 59th Street R, N, W Trains at 5th Avenue
Description: A 16-foot Buddha, which floats above a reflecting pool filled with Japanese carp, presides over the scene at Tao. A favorite destination for celebrities and athletes, this Pan Asian restaurant specializes in authentic Hong Kong Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisines. Tao has three levels of dining including the prized "Skybox" which offers views of this former movie theater unparalleled in New York. In addition to its 300 seats, Tao includes a sushi bar, lounge and two bars at which to enjoy the food and the show. Appetizers range from $8 - $18; Entrees: $16 -$39. Offering $27.50 Prix Fixe Lunch Menu year round.
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

We had 7 adults and 3 children with us for dinner. We tried a lot of different apps.and entrees.Some of the apps. We're Crispy Coconut Shrimp with Spicy Thai Peanut sauce,Grilled Red Snapper with Bok Choy and Ginger,Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass , Chicken Lollipops ,Edamame and assorted Sushi and Sashimi. My favorite was the Chilean Sea Bass which I would order as my entree.We had Satay of Chicken with Peanut sauce, ,Pad Thai Noodles,Vegetable Fried Rice,Chinese Five Spice Short Ribs and Wok Seared NY Sirloin. For dessert we did a tower of different items with the Giant Fortune Cookies. We had some of their specialty drinks along with wine. The food was really good with something for everyone. The children didn't really like it. The drinks were good but over priced. I would stay with wine.The atmosphere was very nice but it was so loud you had a hard time talking across the table. We went for an early dinner....6:30. I have also been at Tao in Las Vegas.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,412)

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

This is a trendy restaurant close to Central Park and in high demand. If you don't mind sitting at the bar and it's early by all means don't make a reservation but if not then you have no choice. Great decor and atmosphere and great service at the bar we dined at.. the food was very very good. Whenever we are in NYC we will return.

Kyle P, Marketing Coordinator at Tao, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2017

Dear Delatorrellc,

Thank you for joining us! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience at TAO and we look forward to seeing you during your next trip to New York!

Kyle P.
TAO Group

Reviewed 20 May 2017

The worst experience we had in NYC. We have order a place in advance, however at our arrival no table was available for ~ 30 minutes. The attitude of the staff at the entrance was unfriendly. The noise was extremely load and we could not hear each other at the table. We wil never return.

1  Thank Dotans
Reviewed 18 May 2017

I had one of the best steak of my life. Been there on a Friday night it was quiet but the place is very cozy and the food amazing. The wine list is good and covers all tastes.

Kyle P, Marketing Coordinator at Tao, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Dear angelove-42,

Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience while dining with as at TAO. We hope to see you soon and often!

Kyle P.
TAO Group

Reviewed 18 May 2017

Tao Las Vegas is one of my favorite places in the world.
Tao New York (Uptown) is not. I mean, I would go back, many times, but it's not a five star experience.

I have ordered a Vesper Martini at the bar. The bartender didn't know how to prepare it. I told him, but he didn't have lemons to make the lemon peel/zest. Basic stuff, not available.

The place was very crowded, I had to wait about half an hour to have my table, it was noisy and the music is loud (great music, though).

I have ordered some sushi, a plate, a dessert, coffee. Service was good, all the waiters were in a rush, as they always are. The food is very good, but Tao is not an experience about the food, but about the ambiance, about the people, about the music, about looking at beautiful women (in my case). All that, together, is what makes Tao a place worth visiting.

Nothing is five stars. Everything combined together gets close to that.