“Good subtle Vietnamese food---in the neighborhood”
Review of Omai

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Reviewed 2 April 2018

A long-time Chelsea favorite, the service is good and food top notch. Only thing I don't understand is why they have a B Grade from the NYC Health Dept. They seem better than that. Gives me some pause. Hope that earn an A soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Nine of us met here for dinner. The decor was simple but nice and the staff was very friendly. I had the seafood dumpling soup which was very good along with the sea bass. The dish was tasty and filling but the fish was small and just fair. My wife had the rice baked w/ ginger chicken, shitake, vegetable in a clay pot. That was very good. I would order that next time. Everyone else liked their dinners and the prices were very fair.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

Omai is seriously sooooo good. They really are the best Vietnamese in the city. I recently went to Vietnam for vacation, ate at all the places Anthony Bordaine went to (including with Obama!), I ate at dozens of places from Norther to Southern Vietnam, all the guidebook recommendations, and I can tell you Omai is the real thing and every bit as good! Save your money and get the best Vietnamese in NYC here. Omai's food is super high quality, very fresh, and absolutely delicious. I always order the Pho Bo: it is a noodle soup, with thinly sliced sirloin - high quality (not fatty, not chewy, not grisly - just great thin sirloing). I also always order the Cha Gio - these are like fried Vietnames Spring Rolls, eated by wrapping them in a leaf of lettuce and fresh herbs and the pickled carrots. Definitely eat them that way, the cold, crunchy, fresh lettuce and herbs compliment the hot crispy roll so very well! I also always order the Goi Cuon - these are fresh summer rolls with shrimp inside and a peanut dipping sauce. The PHo Bo, Cha Gio and Goi Cuon are all gluten free (confirm when you order, just in case they change recipes of course). My husband always orders the Bun Cha, I don't b/c its not gluten free. But he loves it. Who knows, if a couple more people ask for gluten-free Bun Cha, maybe they will hook us up with a gf version soon? :) . I only discovered this place about 8 months ago, and I have been to this restaurant now at least 15 time. I also just discovered they have order-out, too. You have to go through their website to do their own special delivery company. Because its not a delivery service I had prevsiouly used or heard of, I initially was skeptical (b/c its not your usual seamless), but the food came VERY FAST (15 min), and was hot and soooo good!! The soup was still piping hot and the fried Cha Gio was still hot and crispy. I'm glad I took the time to set up with the delivery company they use b/c ). A million times better than other Asian take out (which can be low quaiity or gross and greasy) ... not Omai, its so fresh, you feel good after you eat it (even if you indulge in two appetizers and entree - alot of food - but no food coma). It's great to have the order-in option because sometimes (cold winter night) you can't motivate to go out. But if you do eat-in (I usually do), the ambiance is really nice, the staff are all super sweet (and very helpful) and the wine is good!! And I'm picky about wine! They also have coctails and beer, my husband likes them both. (fyi, much better than another Chelsea Vietnames place called CoBa, which I've ordered from alot on Seamless, although never been to CoBa in person)

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Good food with great menu. Portions were rather big, but we see that more in NY. The location is not that big, but still a good atmosphere. Friendly staf and the pricing is not top end, good money-value

Reviewed 25 October 2017

Wandering down 9th Ave., we saw Omai and decided to give it a try. We were very happy with our choice.

We had a party of 5 and were given one of the tables at the window. It was a tad close quarters for 5, but we made do.

My favorite item was the banh xeo. We had made this dish at a cooking class in Hoi An and this was the closest version I've found in the US to what we experienced in Vietnam. Delicious!

I also had bun ca. The tilapia was cooked very nicely and was something different from what I've found in most US Vietnamese places.

Others in our group had various beef, pork and duck dishes. Everyone seemed happy with their choices.

Service was friendly and efficient. Prices were quite reasonable.

We would definitely go back!