“One of the best culinary experiences in the Big Apple ”
Review of TAO Downtown

TAO Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
TAO Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #597 of 14,817 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

Tried out the much famed Tao during New York restaurant week and while considering that yes it’s made a name for itself ... was totally not prepared to be blown away with the quality of food and the ambience . Having spent a good few years in glamorous DUBAI ... the decor and buzz reminds me of a mix between Buddha Bar and Zuma but the food was exceptionally in a class of its own.
Even for restaurant week where all the restaurants go with a fixed price menu and one expects a meager quantity ... Tao went all out with its food selection and quantity. I ordered the Tuna Tartare cakes, and for someone who always stays away from vegetarian spring rolls in any Asian restaurant ( in my opinion they are greasy and the veggies are always soggy and a waste of my calorie consumption) I have to say one of the best spring rolls I have ever eaten especially with the wasabi dip. Main fare was Mongolian beef and the amazing barbeque Thai chicken ( think Indian Tandoori chicken with a Thai twist .. yum).

Dessert was whole other affair with their balanced selection of a light sorbet teamed with fresh fruit and a delectable molten chocolate and caramel dessert with paired ice cream.

Whilst the quantity was so generous ... i couldn’t help order an extra dish of their a la Carte menu ... the Duck fried rice was a star and you could actually sense and smell every single ingredient in that rice from the crunchy small broccoli to the the duck to the waft of cilantro.

And don’t forget to wash this all down with one of. Their cocktails.. I tried the Okie Tomis made with Japanese whiskey and bitter sand loved it .

Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed 29 January 2018

TAO was a fantastic restaurant with delicious food and a fun menu. The restaurant feels young and inviting, awesome layout. But beware - the drinks will get you! 2 Vodka Redbulls cost me $48 (before tip and asking for rail vodka). If you're careful about what you order, you'll thoroughly enjoy yourself. After dinner, I recommend heading upstairs to their bar/club area and getting another drink. Loved the vibe!

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

I had dinner with a friend during restaurant week. I had a dined at Tao before but had a bad experience last time. The waitstaff or bus boys threw away or kept my cashmere winter hat but claimed they didn't. I realized I left the hat when we got to the hostess area. I went back to the table and it mysteriously disappeared. The manager did call me and left a messsge but when I returned his call I could never reach him. Eventually I just gave up. My prior experience did not stop me from trying Tao again. We had an excellent table which was perfect and on the side as I requested. It was very spacious table where we could view the entire restaurant. It was so awesome to be so nicely accommodated, and it made is feel special and important. The service by Harvey was very good though we did feel a little rushed. The drinks were awesome, though pricey. The shrimp app was beautiful and delicious as was the sushi and salmon entres, and we loved the fruit dessert with Happy Birthday in chocolate, it was a nice touch. All on all we enjoyed our dining experience. This time, I kept my winter hat in my purse.

Reviewed 24 January 2018

AMAZING selection of appetizers and main dishes!! Sushi fresh and selections were amazing, chilean sea bass too sweet but still tasty, korean beef great, deserts 10/10!!

Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

Really excellent food. Fantastic ambiance. Out of the ordinary but very pricey for drinks. Portions are small. Very loud music makes it difficult to converse. Worth going to at least once!