All reviews shared bathroom claw foot new york late at night affordable place to stay street subway laguardia airport bed was comfortable two blocks top floor times square radio manhattan television sink renovation avenue
Reviewed 4 November 2017

We stayed in the Harlem Flophouse for 10 nights and it was perfect. The location is great- lots of places to eat only minutes away, the bed was comfortable and the price was fantastic for NY. We stayed on the top floor at the back and had a view over trees. I was a bit concerned about the shared bathroom but it is one bathroom for two rooms so it wasn't an issue (and the bathrooms were always clean). The house has great character. No TV but there is WIFI and a radio in each room. Subway is two blocks away and buses at the the end of the block. Harlem is a really vibrant interesting place to stay. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2017

Quiet and reasonably clean, this house provides a good place to lodge in Harlem.
The metro station is very close, the rooms are big. The decor is pleasant, but very much old fashioned and in need of some renovation. No private bathroom and no safe.
Good WiFi. The cat of the house will happily keep you company if you let her.
Being such a peculiar “ hotel” we were disappointed by the fact that the owner never showed up. Apart from the initial greeting by a nice lady, we never met anybody for all of the 4 days we stayed. That gave it a bit of “ ghost house” atmosphere.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Stayed 4 nights at Harlem Flophouse..very good it was..we planned our trip for late September so the heat of the summer would not be an issue...with regret, New York had a heat wave during our stay..the Flophouse is NOT air-conditioned due to the age of the building ( built 1890 )..that being said..the Harlem Flophouse is a real gem..very clean, quiet, and safe..located ideally for public transit, with a bus going to LaGuardia airport a couple of blocks away..it runs 24/7...grocery store nearby, as are nightspots. Never felt uneasy walking around the neighborhood.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2017

We loved this place! Harlem and the Flophouse is a diamond in the rough. We really enjoyed the unique character of this place. Everything is vintage. It was very clean and the bed was really comfortable. We didn't have any issues sharing the bathroom. If you really appreciate NYC, you will be in pretty late (I think the earliest we got back in our 4 day stay was 1 am), so we didn't hear any of the other guests and there was only one time that we had to wait to use a bathroom in our 4 day stay when I think the place was full most of the time. The neighborhood is colorful and interesting. During the day, it is very safe no problems. At night, the main streets can have some interesting characters, but I never felt threatened. It is very close to the train (2 stations within a 5 to 10 minute walk). I flew into Laguardia. The M-60 bus was awesome, picks up and drops off at 125th and Fredrick Douglas (a 5 minute walk) and is a 30 to 40 minute ride to the airport making transportation cheap and easy. Loved the clawfoot tubs. Slept really well here. The only recommendation is that if you stay bring a flashlight or be ready to use the light on your phone as it was very dark up the stairs and we were on the 3rd level. Not a problem as I would hate to waste a light anyway, but just be prepared to come in to darkness. Other recommendation, try Lenox coffee shop. It is a 10 to 15 minute walk, but well worth it. We loved the coffee and chats with the locals. Also, we absolutely lucked out in finding the Good Will store in Harlem not very far away. Forget 5th Avenue, we scored some awesome deals on designer items here for really good prices. I would have gotten more, but I filled my suitcase! I can't wait to come back with my husband hopefully soon.

Date of stay: September 2017
Reviewed 30 January 2017

Lucky me to have found The Harlem Flophouse. It's truly a calm sanctuary in the middle of big bad Manhattan. Harlem is by far my favorite neighborhood these days, so there's that, but mainly the attraction of HFH are the civilized rooms and peaceful atmosphere. I am soon to become a regular and usually stay mid-week which is my luck - no weekend crowds. The Harlem Flophouse is convenient to Central Park, the Studio Museum, restaurant row on Frederick Douglass, Columbia U, St John the Divine, bustling 125th street, Paris Blues and a slew of Lenox Avenue hotspots. It's my new (and only) place to stay in NYC if I can help it. Rene is a gracious host too.

Date of stay: January 2017