“No Atmosphere, But Very Good Food”
Review of Manna's Soul Food

Manna's Soul Food
Ranked #4,652 of 15,872 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Harlem
Neighbourhood: Harlem
Reviewed 8 August 2017

So my buddy, and I were in Harlem, and looking for a place to get some good soul food fried chicken. Someone told us to try Manna's. My buddy already says he's going back the next trip.

Yeah, this is a little hole in the wall place, and it's hard to squeeze through the entry hall to get to the food. It's not a restaurant, but a buffet, and what a buffet.

They had fried chicken, collared greens (which I don't like, but my buddy got), sautéed plantains, turkey, turkey stuffing (that had so much meat in it I should have gotten just that instead of the turkey with it), ribs, fried fish, etc.

The buffet table across from this one has a huge selection of wonderful looking fresh fruit, and about half a dozen beautiful salads. They looked wonderful, but I was not there for salad, so I didn't try any.

It's all self-serve. You just grab a Styrofoam container, and fill it up, even for dining it. It's sold by the pound. It was $7.49 a pound when we went. So two containers, and two drinks was $23 ,and change.

There were only three small tables in the place, and we were able to get one. I saw a sign for more seating upstairs, but didn't see that stairs.

My meal was very good. The fried chicken, and turkey were a tad dry, but it is a buffet. However the stuffing was perfectly moist, seasoned, an had a lot of meat in it. The plantains were perfect. The food was very good, and filling.

In the cooler there are sodas, plus a variety of Caribbean juices. I love ginger beer, and they had a brand I never heard of before. It was spot on, and had good flavor, and a nice burn.

Dessert, though limited was very good. At the buffet there was banana pudding. You know how sometimes you get it, and the bananas are too mush, or not ripe enough. This was perfect. They also had cookies you could buy a la carte.

Besides the buffet they also have a fresh smoothie stand up front. Everything looked very fresh, but we only got food.

The staff seemed a little abrupt, and one guy was trying to tell me my buddy couldn't bring his seeing eye dog into the place. Like some of the other "characters" of the neighborhood, some of whom came in to eat after us he didn't have the education to know that guide dogs are allowed under the ADA.

Also, I saw a sign in front of the buffet that said the special was spend X amount of dollars, and get a free peach cobbler. We spent the money, but no dessert was offered.

Whole pies were also available for purchase as well, including bean pies.

Anyway, my buddy, and I were just there for the food which was very good. I don't recall seeing a table big enough for more than two, so unless I did miss the seating upstairs there's really no place for a group of friends, or family to eat other than to get their meal to go.

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

Visiting from Atlanta The Jerk Chicken ...The Salads... The fresh Fruit is Alllll Gooood!!! This is a must every time we come to NYC!!!

Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

I tried a new location of the restaurant and was thoroughly unimpressed! The food was okay but just that, no wow factor! When you come to Harlem you expect good soul food, not just okay. The rice and beans were dry and the salmon was beyond dry! The only redemption were the greens and stewed chicken which we're good but not exceptional!

Reviewed 7 July 2016

A delightful HARLEM EXPERIENCE1 All items on the buffet not only looked appealing but I imagine they were as delicious as the ones we selected. The mac and cheese were to die for. and the cornbread was the best ever!

Reviewed 26 March 2016

This is one of my favorite places to eat in NYC. Manna has a buffet of soul food specialties such as jerk chicken, ribs, peas and rice, collard greens, mac and cheese, desserts, plantains, etc. It is a price per pound and carry out is very popular. Check out my photos. They were taken on January 2, 2016.