“A wonderful day at the spa!”
Review of Juvenex Spa

Juvenex Spa
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I decided as a birthday gift I wanted to have a day at the spa with my daughter, mother and sister . I searched the Internet checking prices and what was included with the spa treatment. Once I found The Juvenex Spa I knew this was the spa for me. I wanted my family to experience the body scrub along with the heat and stream sauna, pool and wonderful massage. Other reviews did not like the outside, but who cares it is located in Manhattan, Korea way. What matters is the inside and I'm OCD clean, so for sure cleanliness matters. So this place was not only nice , but it was really modern, pretty and clean. The people were exceptionally nice and they gave us what we paid for and more. For me hospitality goes a long way. There is so much I can say, but I don't want to drag out this review. I guess in order for you to understand you have to go see for yourself. You won't be disappointed. Remember good things come in small packages.

1  Thank Kenyetta C
"floor"
in 9 reviews
"lockers"

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Maybe our expectations were too high. We are from the UK and not used to something like this in a big city such as New York. As other reviewers have testified, this place shouldn't be judged upon face-value. The building is unappealing from the outside and doesn't become any more appealing once inside the main door. The lift and corridors resemble a 1950's block of flats. Dated décor and quite scruffy. The lift passes a Karaoke bar on the 3rd floor, triggering thoughts about how it would be possible for this place to be tranquil only 2 floors above. Then the lift door opens.

The place is surprisingly serene and our first thoughts questioned how it was possible for this place to be on the 5th floor of such a tiny building. Rocks/glass/tiles and other heavy items make up much of the internal décor and in the middle sits a very large Igloo type building, this is the Sauna. It looks like it must weigh 20 tons. The place is much nicer than the image we were painting whilst in the lift.

Rewinding a little. It was our Wedding Anniversary during our stay in NYC and what we had wanted was a nice romantic day-spa. Somewhere we could go, have some treatments and relax in a variety of spa's and pools. A common concept in Europe. So, on that basis we were disappointed, I think potential visitors need to condition their expectations. This is a marvel in such a busy city, but it's not quite what we wanted. Our friends and family had joked about whether or not this place was 'vanilla', from the description I can understand why they would think this. However, we can testify that it is!!

The staff were friendly enough and the facilities are clean, though I didn't feel we made the most of what was on offer, due mainly to the lack of detailed help. I had a full-body massage booked, my Wife went for the exfoliation treatment. We were told to take a shower, then Sauna/Steam for 15 minutes, which we did. We were then led off in opposite directions for our treatments. My massage was good, very thorough and hands-on. The masseuse was discreet, well as much as it was possible to be. She used various massage techniques and, at times, it hurt, but in a good way.

My Wife is a bit of a tough-cookie, so for her to describe her exfoliation as 'brutal' would suggest that it was a little out of the ordinary. Any amount of sun-tan she'd picked up from the preceding week we'd enjoyed in Brazil was washed away! Her skin felt amazingly soft, but there is no doubt that there was nothing relaxing about her treatment. In both cases, it doesn't pay to be shy in here.

So, for us, the lack of a relaxing 'couples retreat' scenario and a slightly regimental introduction, meant that Juvenex for us was merely an individual treatment each and considering the total bill came in at around £150, this turned out to be really quite expensive. There are a ton of places in NYC that can accommodate Massage and these types of treatments. Our hotel for one, albeit the setting may not be like this, but Juvenex just doesn't quite get to the next level and we don't feel enticed to return next time we are in NYC.

3  Thank christianbeccy
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Juvenex is great. The full body scrub is absolutely incredible (but not for the shy! You will be very, very naked). I definitely recommend this spa to everyone.

4  Thank Miles K
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We decided to do something different on a Saturday night in New York than the usual bar scene and thought wistfully how great it would be to,get a spa treatment. But of,course, what were the chances of finding any (legit!) spa open at 11pm after our meal? Well, as it turned out, chances were very good. Juvenex looked fabulous and got great reviews so we excitedly checked it out! The staff were helpful in explaining the various options, and when we selected the spa relaxation package they showed us around the facilities and explained all the amenities to us - and then let us loose to enjoy as we wanted! They even supplied disposal bathing suits for both men and women, for those unprepared adventurers like us. We had a wonderful time lounging between the steamhouse, the beautiful jade sauna, the soaking pools and the low temperature relaxation sauna. It was a fabulously relaxing experience in luxurious spa surroundings. It felt surreal to think we were in the heart of a sprawling metropolis - in fact, just a couple of floors above a heaving karaoke bar! This is definitely on our To Do list for our next New York trip - Can't wait to go back and try some treatments next time.

1  Thank DubT2014
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 June 2013

The main thing keeping this review from being a 5 is the awkwardness of being a first-timer at this incredible spa--they could do a whole lot more to help explain how the facility works. For example, it was only from reading other reviews that I knew I could be nude while using the sauna and water soaks.
I've had some really fantastic massages; however, this one was in a class by itself. I really liked the way she maneuvered my body to get at places no one has ever massaged before. And, her being able to be on the table pushing down with her body weight, and at the end, having me sit up and then use her knees on my back--WOW!

2  Thank lindaannie2