“I will never stay in a Hilton again”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #328 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The hotel was clean, in a perfect location and the staff were friendly. However, the noise from the street and the elevators were disturbing to our sleep. There was no coffee maker or hot pot in the room to make coffee or tea. The staff told us they had an agreement with Starbucks and so removed the coffee makers. The Business Center required a credit card to make payment for it's use. The refrigerator in the room did not work. I had to go down the hall for ice each day to keep my medicine cool. Most disturbing to me was the doors to the rooms. They closed so slowly that you could be across the room before it completely shut. Plenty of time for someone to push their way in and rob you. Since I was traveling with my 80 year old mother (I am 50), I thought that dangerous for two older women. My overall feeling about this hotel was disappointment. It was my first time staying at a Hilton Hotel, and it will be my last as well. I always thought of the Hilton as being a quality name and connected it with a quality product. After my stay there, that image is forever tarnished. After we left New York, we spent the weekend in New Hampshire, staying at the Best Western in Concord, NH. What a difference. We had free breakfast in the morning, clean and comfortable rooms, coffee pot in the room, a working refrigerator as well as a kitchen sink and a microwave. They also had a business center and it was free. I only wish there had been a Best Western in NYC.

Room Tip: The beds were comfortable and our view on the south side was nice. Stay here if you have more money...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stacy R
Write a ReviewReviews (10,622)

Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very nice, good location, clean. My main issue is they add on charges for everything. I frequently stay at hotels of this caliber for work, but this is the first one to charge for services that have always been free. $4 to have a package shipped to you, $3.50 per item to leave your luggage with the bell captain if you need to stow your luggage for an hour or two before you need to leave for the airport. They even up charge for wifi. For $15 you get super slow wifi and you need to pay an extra $4 if you want the kind of speed you get for free at Starbucks. C'mon, Hilton! That is cheesy. I hope this doesn't become a trend. I expect these kind of services to be included for the price you pay to stay at a hotel like this.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Harma003
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The hotel was very accessible to shops, subway stations, major city attractions, Central Park. Lots of rooms, but the Front Desk staff were very efficient and I only spent a few minutes in line to check in. The rooms were nice, clean and smelled great. Standard for most hotels, except that there was no coffee in the room. There was also no free wifi here. It was convenient to stay here, since the meeting was in the hotel, but I'd probably go somewhere less busy for a non-business related trip to NYC.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank chuvalooh
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I've stayed here about 10 times over the last few years, and I've seen a definite decline. Although the rooms are still clean and comfortable, I can tell maintenance is starting to slide. The two worst things: the internet is like the 1990s....it keeps dumping the signal. (happening to my colleagues as well, so not just my laptop). This makes it really difficult to do much work. Also, they've removed the coffee from the rooms! How can a West Coast person going to the Eastern time zone actually wake up? Also, there used to be lots of prostitutes hanging out in the bridges lounge at night, but thankfully they've at least cleaned that problem up! I will likely not stay here again unless they can guarantee resolution of the internet issue and supply me with at least a cup of coffee in the am!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank T O
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I typically don't take the time to write reviews, but in this case, my delightful experience warrants a few minutes. My Mom and I spent Mother's Day in NYC and stayed at this Hilton. Our first impression was Kathleen at Check-In. Since our stay was on two reservations (using Hilton points for part of our stay), Kathleen checked us in for both reservations, making sure we weren't inconvenienced in having to change rooms mid-stay. She also accomodated us with a wonderful corner room with a view of Central Park that we enjoyed throughout our 4-night stay. When she learned of my Dad's recent passing (one of the reasons for our "girls' trip"), she was kind, compassionate and sympathetic. Kathleen made our weekend all that more special by taking just a little more time out of her crazy busy afternoon for us. Kathleen, thank you. You made a wonderful and positive difference to us last week. I would also like to recognize the gentleman in the Marketplace who sold me my morning coffees at 6AM every day during our stay (I believe his name was Juan?). A happy, smiling face to greet me EVERY morning, and ask how my morning was going. On our last day, Juan went out of his way to help me get coffee at 5:30AM (prior to opening) so we could catch our train out that morning. And there were many others - the Concierge who arranged dinner for two weary travelers, the Security gentleman who brought us ice packs for my Mom's bad knee - ALL so helpful and courteous.This royal treatment is what keeps me loyal to the Hilton properties.

Room Tip: My comment is that this Hilton's location in Midtown is IDEAL if traveling for pleasure. Close...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family