“Just What We Expected!”

New York Hilton Midtown
Ranked #328 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 January 2007

We stayed at the Hilton from Dec. 26-29 and had a pleasant stay. There was no line at check-in at 1:30pm and got a room right away which was decorated nicely and kept clean and furnished with fresh linens. Had a great view of the city from the 35th floor. The staff were friendly and professional. Our room did not have a TV remote, and one was delivered to our room within five minutes. We asked for a rollaway and it was waiting in the room for us. I do agree with the other reviewers regarding breakfast in the Executive Lounge--we gave up the first morning but the line moved quickly the next two mornings. Great selection of food. The hotel was very busy (as were the elevators!) but overall, could not fault the Hilton for anything. When we arrived at the airport for our trip home, my husband discovered he left his expensive boots in the room. It was a little frustrating when calling the hotel for help--he called three times. We decided to wait until Tuesday, after New Year's, to try again as we know how busy the hotel was. The boots came in today's mail so were quite pleased about that! I recommend Hilton New York to anyone. It is a very large hotel but we only slept there! There's too much to do in New York City to spend much time at the hotel!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank Jette
Write a ReviewReviews (10,614)

Reviewed 8 January 2007

My 9 year old daughter and I stayed here for a mother/daughter weekend from Jan 5-7th. I wanted a hotel within walking distance to many different sights and activities. We were not dissapointed! We were able to walk to times square, theater district, rockafeller center, the American Girl Store, 5th Avenue, Central Park, FAO Schwarz, etc..... It was a PERFECT location.
The hotel was clean, the people were friendly, the staff helpful. I have really only two complaints.
One, room service was VERY expensive. Now, I know this is New York - so what do I expect? I don't know. But I paid $50.00 for my daughter and I to get dessert via room service. The hotel charges a $9.00 room service fee to deliver the food - and then I was reminded by the waiter that gratuity is NOT included in that $9.00. So, I gave a tip too, so by the end - I paid $16.00 more just to get room service. Next time, I'll walk down to the restaurant or get ice cream to go at one of the many restaurants nearby.
Second complaint - the breakfast buffet. My entire meal was cold and I could not get the waitress to bring our check to save my life. It was frustrating. But, I also will admit that it very well could have been simply an "off" morning for both the waitress and the restaurant.
Our trip was fabulous, however, and I would most certainly stay here again. The location could not be beat. We also booked via priceline and we received a rate of $150.00 per night, which for the quality and location, could not be beat.
On a side note, my daughter and I went to see "Hairspray" at the Neil Simon theater, and to say it was FABULOUS would not be giving it enough credit. Best show I"ve ever seen, hands down - and I've been to many broadway and off broadway shows. If you get a chance, GO. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank jlpsu
Reviewed 8 January 2007

We went to the Hilton for New Year's Eve. We booked via American Express and were disappointed. The hotel has been refurbished but apparently not all rooms. We had a King bed Deluxe room which was very nice. Natural colors, flat screen, excellent beds and sheets. The problem of this hotel is the hotel itself : we asked for a king bed and we had twin beds, the hotel was fully booked we couldn't move. We made a request 3 months ago for a corner room, of course we didn't get it. We asked for a plug adaptor (as we are french) but the Hilton does not have adaptors for their clients. You have to buy one and the shop of the hotel had no stock left. No service, when you ask for something you better do it by yourself. Too many people, you have to queue to take the elevators. The reception is more busy than Grand Central Station at pick time. Cleaness is moderate in the room, very poor in the hotel. There was a small bottle of ketchup and jam in the corridor which stained the wall and it remains during 2 days, whereas the housekeepers saw it. Even this Hilton isn't a 5 stars hotel, you should expect a minimum of service when you go in a brand hotel for more than 400$ per night.You can go there if you have no other choice, it is not awful, but we won't go there again.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank LMParis
Reviewed 8 January 2007

I stayed here for 6 nights recently. We paid additional for a Club Level room...we had an unrenovated room which had a foul odour emitting from the bathroom (let alone the yellow stained shower curtain). The staff were not really interested in helping or wanting to make your stay more positive. The room service staff were pushy over tips (although a reasonable tip was given) and quiet rude.
We had an additional night booked at the hotel after visiting Washington, however cancelled it to stay at the Westin Times Square which made the Hilton look like a highway motel.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank benaus
Reviewed 7 January 2007

The hotel was in the perfect location! We had a very speedy check-in and check-out. The only major fault to this hotel was that the room was very warm throughout the night. When we complained that the room was uncomfortable, we were told that only the heater works during the winter months, but we could open our windows. We opened the windows, but then we had to listen to the horns blowing throughout the night. Overall, the hotel was nice and it served it's purpose.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family